Single-wall stovepipe thickness and life limit.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brider

Jun 13, 2008
New Haven, CT
I ended up installing big $$ 22-ga stovepipe instead of the double-wall I originally wanted to do, and the dealer said the 22-ga pipe will last almost forever.

Any thoughts or experience here? I originally wanted to go DW because I couldn't see the sense in replacing pipe after a few years, but this 22-ga pipe feels beefy, I wonder if it really will last significantly longer. Sure does look good.

No doubt it is black pipe and the dealer knew what he was talking about. You won't be replacing it in a couple years for sure. That stuff lasts a long time.

For single wall stovepipe, you can't go wrong with the 22 gauge. I used it for my shop stove installation, and I really liked the welded seam construction and the stiffness of the pipe. I'm not a big fan of the "zip seam" type stovepipe. I don't have any data on life expectancy, but I imagine that typical 24 gauge lasts some years, and your 22 gauge will last some more years. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.