sizing a sidearm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolidge

Dec 16, 2008
Maine
How does one size a sidearm? We use a ton of hot water, now supplied by a Rinnia but i would like to set up a sidearm for winter time use.

Thanks

That's a good question. I didn't put much thought into mine. Just bought one off ebay and installed it on my 80 gal. hot water heater. Works great, gets that 80 gals really hot, so hot I should really install some sort of mixing valve. But it's just me and my wife so we know to watch out for it, if we had little kids that would be different. Not sure how much this helps.

Oddly, in my head I clicked on this thread thinking to myself "Cool a gun thread" lol

I love guns, and discussions about them.
Sadly cannot help you with your real question though.

I built a sidearm based on the water heater boiler relief valve and the boiler drain spacing with similar pipe dimmensions as the one in the link easternbob supplied. The sidearm I have is only on a 40 gal lpg hot water heater that is an older model. If your hwh is electric it might see the recovery times listed in the link. Older model lpg hwh have an open center and a longer recovery time. My experience is limited with sidearm hx but if you don't have sophisticated boiler plumbing (on demand type of response) then you will probably have a circulating pump that runs constantly. Because boilers get hotter than most people set their hot water heaters at the usable supply of hot water is greater with the sidearm setup. Use of a tempering valve is recommended to prevent scalding which boiler water temps will easily render possible.

Size wise if you buy a pre fabricated sidearm hx go for the longest interior (core) pipe you can get (see diagram in above mentioned link). The core pipe is the actual pipe for your water heater and the longer the water in it is exposed to the heat from the boiler then the quicker you will experience thermal recovery. My sidearm has a 24" core. Sidearms only heat by convection and the best orientation is to pump the hot water from the boiler in at the top of the core pipe and out the bottom of the core pipe. Insulating the sidearm will improve its functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.