Ski's for tires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Has anyone come across ski's that you can attach to your trailer tires you use for hauling wood. I would like to cut and haul more wood in the winter.

Zap

It could work. I tried something like this though on a much smaller scale when I was younger. The thing that I found, is that you have to lock the tires from rotating, or if the ski catches something it will stop, and then just roll over so the ski is now on top of the tire. Guess this wouldn't be an issue if it was a double axle trailer, but the one I tried with was single and very small.

I would be more in favor of using old snowboards. Maybe you could take a look at the design on those skis that small planes use?? I don't have a clue how you would attach them??

could it work to buy a couple snow inner tubes (the kind with mesh down under the bottom) and a sheet of plywood? seems like it would be better than a couple of "skis" under some trailer tires. could only haul 600-750 lbs I imagine, but that should be plenty.

I'm still waiting for someone to buy a sheet of 4x8 plywood and put a thin sheet of steel on the front and wrap it around a curved frame to make something of a cheapo toboggan Shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks to get it done including straps, screws, and whatever else you need. I'll just keep using a plastic kids sled for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.