Skunk under my wood rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I put one of my 12 foot racks on a slope and had to raise one end about 8 inches, well I guess that made a cozy little spot for a skunk to call home. Anyone have any ideas on how to humanely get this little fella a new home far away from my wood pile. The last think I need is skunky smelling wood to burn this winter.

I'm not sure how to do it but you I have heard that

1. relocating an animal will most likely cause it to die since it doesn't have a safe place to go to.
2. transporting wild animals is illegal (at least in some states)

people still do it and it makes the people moving the animal feel better, but the outcome is probably that the animal dies. I'm not saying that you want to keep it under your wood shed. I had what felt like a chipmunk infestation around the house when I bought it. I didn't use a have a heart trap. I must have dispatched about 500 in about 5 years. I didn't mind them but when I step in a hole and almost break an ankle, it's time for them to go someplace else.

Good luck with your problem

Haven't a clue on this one, but it's an interesting dilemma. Keep us informed--inquiring minds want to know. Perhaps providing a more attractive den nearby while making the woodpile less attractive would work out.

Found this, and learned a few facts in the reading that you may find pertinent: http://www.eapl.com/wildlife_problems_skunk.html

Well have some experience with skunks getting into crawl spaces at houses I've owned.
Here's the thing- they don't like light and they don't like loud music and they don't like moth balls- country and western seems to be particularly annoying (joke:)
As they go out and forage at night what I do is move the light into their spot at dusk to be sure to drive them out and also blast them with loud music (if your neighbor situation allows.)
Also put flour on the ground where you expect they will exit the wood pile and when you come back after dark look for footprints heading out of the pile to confirm it left and block it up. (if its got young in there you have a whole new dilemma though) Then spread mothballs all over the place and leave the light and music going for a week to be sure to discourage them from returning. Works like a champ for me in crawl spaces on houses. Should work on a wood pile if you block up all the ways to get under there.
Good luck- a .22 works also if you have the inclination but I've always believed they voided their stink upon death so the Tammy Wynette and bright lights may be a better option:)

snowleopard said:
Haven't a clue on this one, but it's an interesting dilemma. Keep us informed--inquiring minds want to know. Perhaps providing a more attractive den nearby while making the woodpile less attractive would work out.

Found this, and learned a few facts in the reading that you may find pertinent: http://www.eapl.com/wildlife_problems_skunk.html

Thanks for the link. A few years back I had one nosing in my garbage which was located in the garage. When I opened the door to let the dogs out it wasnt a pretty scene. The skunk sprayed both dogs and the spray was all over my garage. The dogs were rolling on the lawn trying to get the spray off. The smell was so bad when I walked into the house my wife made me strip nekked and throw the clothes I was wearing in to the trash and take a shower and I didnt get sprayed, thats how powerful their scent is. I washed my dogs with a mixture of peroxide and baking soda I got off the internet but the smell stayed with them for a long time. They slept in the basement for awhile after that encounter. I dont want a repeat of that nightmare.

Could alway call your state's wildlife management agency about your problem, & they'd probably either be able to give you tips, authorize you to do something like trap & relocate, or maybe send a warden or biologist out to do something. I work in the fisheries division of our wildlife management agency, not the wildlife division, otherwise I'd probably be able to give you some more helpful info or tips! :)

weatherguy said:
. The last think I need is skunky smelling wood to burn this winter.

Oh, but haven't you heard that burning skunk-scented wood produces a great pleasant smell? Some say it smells even better that burning typical pleasent-smelling woods like pine/fir/spuce, cedar, hickory, cherry, etc...! :)

The most obvious solution is a trap with some food in it, (traps designed for skunks mind you....not a wire mesh cage that he can spray thru........duh).

I understand that skunks respond like a mating call to those deer callers you can buy at Cabela's......I've never tried this theory out, but it may help, (if nothing else, it will either piss off, or excite the skunk; both senarios should motivate some action........lol).

-Soupy1957

You have a gun?

I would find a black cat and paint a white stripe on its back. Apparently, the skunk will fall in love with the cat and follow it to the ends of the earth, while the cat will always try to get away. Problem solved.

ruserious2008 said:
Good luck- a .22 works also if you have the inclination but I've always believed they voided their stink upon death so the Tammy Wynette and bright lights may be a better option:)

They do the voiding thing before death.
Repeatedly if you are using a pellet gun.
Each squirt does indicate a hit, though.

i've caught dozens my way. then relocated them. get a large hav-a-hart cage from home depot or the like. bait it with any catfood with fish in it. place the cage in the area of your pile. do this in the evening. check it in the morning. you might have the skunk, a raccoon or whatever. these cages are biult so you can carry the cage with the animal in it. wear gloves though. i've had many a racoon try to swipe at my fingers. they're nasty little bastards. there's a metal plate under the handle, so they can't each you. ok, now if you get the skunk, its a little different. if its still early enough, he'll be sleeping in the cage or just relaxing. walk carefully over to the cage with a sheet or blanket up to your eyes, covering your body. watch him closely to see if he makes a move. they never do. carefully cover the cage with the shheet. pick up the cage and put it in a trailer or pickup. i put one in the back of my suburban once, no problems. drive to another area a few miles away. pull the sheet off the end of the cage that you can open easily. both sides can open. practice this beforehand. i use a bungee to keep it open. then walk away a little. within 5 minutes he'll calmly walk out into the woods. i've never been sprayed this way. they never (never say never) spray unless they feel death coming. i tried to "exterminate" the first one i caught. that was a smelly disaster. catch and release- much better. good luck

Go get yourself a few gallons of cheap ammonia. Go to the critter's hideout and dump the ammonia in. They can't stand the smell and will hightail it out of there.

Sisu said:
I would find a black cat and paint a white stripe on its back. Apparently, the skunk will fall in love with the cat and follow it to the ends of the earth, while the cat will always try to get away. Problem solved.

We had similar thoughts . . .

Attachments

• pepe le pew chasing the cat.jpg
    pepe le pew chasing the cat.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 3,470
Ask you neighbor (waaay down the road neighbor) if you can borrow his dog!

firefighterjake said:
Sisu said:

We had similar thoughts . . .

Who says that there isn't anything educational on tv and that it will rot your brain!?!? I also learned how to speak perfect french from those Pepe Le Pew episodes too. :)

Skunk under woodpile? No problem if you don't disturb it. By the time you are ready to start using that wood this winter, you won't have to worry about the skunks. You won't see very many skunks during the winter months and you won't see them when you dismantle the wood pile. So just stay away from the wood and forget it all. Most times people have skunks really close to them and don't even know it.

I have to laugh at the time my wife and I were standing by a fire (camping) after dark when suddenly she tells me, "Don't move!" I looked down and there was a skunk between my feet. He was also looking up at me. No problem at all. We just kept talking and he soon left and we never smelled anything. As long as you see their face, all is well.

Had one under my chicken coop a while back, he finally left but I don't know if it was the mothballs, the dogs, or he just found a better home. But the .22 was the next option, if it's a choice between sprayed dogs and missing eggs, or dead skunk... I know which one I prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.