slab wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
anyone evr burned slab firewood?...i passed up a pile the other day.....little over 3 cords for 200.00 but i have never burned it and thought it might be more like burning kenlin

Some of mine is very thin and some is good chunks. Lots of bark means more ash, and flat stuff means watch how you load it so you get air spaces to burn it. I burn a lot of it in a kiln that doesn't care and wants more ash.

I pay $100 for a cord of hardwood or $50 for softwood delivered and to me it's a bargain considering the production time it saves me.

I get soft wood slabs for $30 a cord. A true cord as well, since it stacks so flat you really get 4x4x8 worth of wood. Pain to cut up but good should season stuff and good for kindling.

Good stuff! Even better on really could days seems to burn hotter.

Just be careful when packing the stove because it very will may burn a whole lot harder. Of course this also means shorter burn times too.

Backwoods Savage said:
Just be careful when packing the stove because it very will may burn a whole lot harder. Of course this also means shorter burn times too.

Yes in deed!

Its a great thing especially if your pile is not under 20%. It dries so fast, you can mix it is with your stack that is not ideal and it will help burn hot to bring wood that is less than ideal into a good range. A good way to burn -no, but a good way to bridge piles that are less than ideal. If you have piles that are under 20%, it is great in the shoulder season.

Its a great thing especially if your pile is not under 20%. It dries so fast, you can mix it is with your stack that is not ideal and it will help burn hot to bring wood that is less than ideal into a good range. A good way to burn -no, but a good way to bridge piles that are less than ideal. If you have piles that are under 20%, it is great in the shoulder season.

thanks guys..looks like i passed up on a good thing..ill know next time

I usually get a decent load of slabwood . . . but I don't know if I would pay much or anything for it . . . granted around here most of the slabwood is softwood. Great for kindling or shoulder season fires or starting a fire up . . . but not good for long burns. As others have mentioned with slabwood you can get some "meaty" pieces or some thin, small pieces . . . definitely don't want to load up the firebox and touch it off. Can be a little more of a challenge to cut up . . . seasons quickly.

Just stumbled across this thread in my search for others burning slab wood. There is a mill 7 blocks away in my town that sells slab wood (all hardwood) for $7 a pick up truck load. I've been burning this in my new 13-NCI since I got it but I'm quickly learning I will never get overnight burns with it. I am fortunate enough that I work 3 blocks away and can come home as much as I need to in order to keep the stove going throughout the day, but overnight, I'm not having any luck. I am left with enough hot coals to get her restarted in 10 minutes, though.

I just picked up some slab wood to burn in my OWB. We just bought the house and we were left with very little wood, picked it up for 60bucks (dump trailer 10x6x5 stacked neatly to the top).

Around here you can buy a full truck load (as high as you can stack it) of slab wood cut to length for $20-30. That would probably come out to about $100 for an equivalent amount. $200 may not be a bad deal, but without knowing how much was really there I would pass on it. I'll put side-boards on a pickup truck and stack it as high as I can for $25/load before I bought a pile on the ground for a large sum... but then again, I don't need that much slab wood.

prollynotjeff said:
I just picked up some slab wood to burn in my OWB. We just bought the house and we were left with very little wood, picked it up for 60bucks (dump trailer 10x6x5 stacked neatly to the top).

Works good in the OWB.

It really depends,

I got a bunch of slab wood from a friend that had some trees cut into logs for a log cabin - and that slab wood was great - big enough pieces for firewood.

then the next year, I bought a bundle of slab wood from an actual mill and I will never buy slabwood again - at least without looking at it very closely. It looked good from a distance, but most pieces were really small and just a huge huge pain to deal with.

I personally think its easier just to scrounge trees and buck and split than deal with a big splintery mess of slab wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.