Slate and durock fireplace surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stujd

Jan 28, 2011
Southeastern Michigan
We're finishing up the new fireplace and have followed the great advice on this forum. Installed Hearthstone Morgan insert with fully insulated 6" liner, old flue tile removed, and block-off plate with insulation. We're redoing the fireplace surround with a design that meets both NFPA and the insert clearances to combustible surfaces. The new surround is being built with slate. Over the fireplace, we used steel beams rather than wood for structural support. Then a layer of Durock for the tiling surface. Slate is being installed with thinset.

A couple of images of the setup are shown below.

My question is whether construction adhesive is ok on the steel beams? As you can see, the Durock is cut and attached and the tile is being installed tomorrow. I think the tiler used a bead of construction adhesive along the steel beams to get the Durock seated. Then a bunch of screws, about 1 every 8 inches or so. Is the adhesive any sort of problem?

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,508
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 2,855
I would think that would be cool

Given it's location it will probably be fine, but I think overkill and unnecessary.

I am not sure on the temp that adhesive can take. but i dont think its really that much over kill. the glue allows for reduced expanision, a commong probelm in gypsum board. ie nail pops. I use screws anyways but adding the glue allows for a more uniform structure. slate adds alot ALOT of weight, i would like everything i can to help. Glue should be fine on the rock. just dont even just use that as some moron did when putting up some of our walls...

I did slate on my hearth, love the looks of it. cut the tiles in 3x12 sections to look more like milled stone or brick, just didnt want the look of 12x12 tiles. i like how each piece is different.

Is teh guy going to metal lathe the rock as well? it helps with the shear stresses.

your going to have a great looking hearth.

Thanks for the replies. I mentioned to the tiler this morning. He's a licensed builder and said the adhesive is a small amount, just to get a good grip on the board.

Stump_Branch, the slate itself is being set with thinset, but no metal lathe.

The 3x12 cut tile sounds great. I know what you mean about the 12x12 look. That was my one aesthetic concern, but in the interest of getting it done, we kept it simple.

Bet it will look great!

Please continue to post the project pictures.

One thing though. Why isn't there a fire going in the fire box? If it's all hooked up and good to go, get that puppy fired up! I burned in mine until spring time - then I finished the surround and mantle.

Yeah, it was tempting to fire it up right away. My wife would be none too pleased if I tore apart the mantel and didn't finish though. Now that the tiling is done, I can say I'm glad too. Just have to clean up the room today, get the break-in fire done, and then heat til Spring. Here's a picture of the surround. I'll be sure to post another when there's a fire going.

Attachments

• IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 657
Status
Not open for further replies.