Slick "log-lift" splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool machine. Nice build job.
Don't know why they lift it to split, maybe easier on the back to work at waist height.
Having 2 guys make anything look easier & faster,
I think vertical with a milk crate would work faster with one man + then lifting the log to horizontal to split takes time .

I agree Dave. Very cool build but practical? Can't wait for sav to chime in on this one!

+1

Alone splitting wood with a splitter sucks. I split everything that doesnt have knots with a maul when I'm alone. Then get the wife and friends to help me an hour getting everything else done. One person bringing logs, one standing them on the splitter, one stacking. Works great. Doing those 3 jobs alone sucks.

I have alot of respect for the design and build of this machine. It is very-very nice work.

That said, there is something goofy about using it the way they were. Maybe it is just their work habits or something. Something just doesn't seem to "flow". I am pretty sure that I could produce more wood as a one man operation with my splitter than those two together with that splitter. Don't take me wrong, I am not knocking these folks- its, its, its that something doesn't feel right about the work flow.

That's a splitter that Jake and Dennis could use together.

Flatbedford said:
That's a splitter that Jake and Dennis could use together.
Since Dennis would not be able to reach the lever from his seated position, he would need Jake around if for nothing else, to pull the lever. The way Dennis likes to sit with the round between his knees, should Jake pull the wrong lever, I hate to think what might happen.

Excellent machine but as others have stated, something just is not right. Several things come to mind but the main points is the need to bring it to horizontal for the splitting and then they both seem to work awfully hard for using a machine. And why would they park the truck so they have to carry the wood to it? Yes, they have the splitter hooked onto the truck but is that really necessary? Methinks one man working right could produce more than those two working together.

Another thing that really struck me is what would happen if when splitting some types of wood, soft maple comes to mind first, when that stuff suddenly splits off and goes flying!!! Picture how that man is standing and where that flying split would hit him. I'd be betting he could sing in the boys choir for quite some time.

seeyal8r brought up working alone but that is my preferred method. I really do like working alone. I thoroughly enjoy having my wife help with the wood cutting but not when it comes to splitting or stacking. I also enjoyed it when our 2 sons were still home to help.

Again, taking nothing away from this man who built the splitter, it appears he did a fine job. Just has not yet learned the finer points of using a hydraulic splitter.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes, they have the splitter hooked onto the truck but is that really necessary?
When the beam is raised vertical, it lifts the wheels right off the ground. If it were not anchored to the truck, it would probably run over his foot. Did you see on the other video how it moves the lawn tractor around?

I find it odd that you comment about a split flying and hurting the other guy standing by. I've seen pictures of you splitting with a round between your knees. A round that close to the family jewels has to be disconcerting.

LLigetfa said:
Backwoods Savage said:
When the beam is raised vertical, it lifts the wheels right off the ground. If it were not anchored to the truck, it would probably run over his foot. Did you see on the other video how it moves the lawn tractor around?

I find it odd that you comment about a split flying and hurting the other guy standing by. I've seen pictures of you splitting with a round between your knees. A round that close to the family jewels has to be disconcerting.

Nope Dennis is right. If you split vertical facing the splitter and one pops loose it should be going away from the boys and not towards them! Worst I have ever had for blowing apart is ash.

Gary

Gary_602z said:
Nope Dennis is right. If you split vertical facing the splitter...
Maybe a little hard to tell in his avatar but he is sitting off to one side, not face on. Still, it's noble of you to come to his defense.

On my splitter I removed the log holder on the operator side so that I can stand even closer to the beam and seldom feel threatened by exploding wood. Mind you, while standing it's easier for me to take a step back than sitting.

A well designed work table should have some sort of a stop and be sloped toward the beam so as to keep half rounds from rolling off the far end.

Gary_602z said:
LLigetfa said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Nope Dennis is right. If you split vertical facing the splitter and one pops loose it should be going away from the boys and not towards them! Worst I have ever had for blowing apart is ash.

Gary

:lol:

When I posted that I wondered who would pick up on the idea because I recall someone telling me a long time ago about the fact that I would get hit, etc., etc. I couldn't find the exact picture that is the avatar but this picture was taken at the very same time. Is the round between my knees? It matters not because I've never seen an ash split go flying yet and I've split tons of that stuff. In fact, the only split I've seen go flying from this splitter was from splitting soft maple. That can really fly and yes, one time I got hit in the shin. It smarted a little but not bad at all. I was splitting kindling wood at the time. Shoot, we used to try to make them fly just to see how far they'd go and the way you are splitting wood, they won't come at you, they will go sideways. Hence, my comment about the other splitter.

DennisCook4-4-09b.jpg

Here is a picture taken when I was making some kindling. Note where the legs are.

100_0116.jpg

Once again I'll state that I've split wood for 50+ years. During that time I have never got hurt. I've split with axe, splitting maul, sledge and wedge and hydraulic. I do have a fairly good idea of what will be happening BEFORE I split the wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
...and the way you are splitting wood, they won't come at you, they will go sideways...
At least in theory. I've never been hit with wood flying off the splitter, but I've been hit when splitting with an axe. Now the way an axe head is attached to the handle, it is impossible to be holding it AND be sideways to it so how a split managed to hit me is a mystery. You know what they say about theories...

Still, I agree that the second guy on the far side of the beam is at a slightly greater risk of getting hit based on where he stands. The operator stands a little behind the wedge to reach the lever so he is at less of a risk. The two guys pulling against each other is what bothers me. One guy is likely to punch the other guy's finger against the wedge. Only one guy should be tearing the split apart. I work alone so I never have to worry about where someone else's hands are, only where mine are yet I still manage to blacken a nail or two.

If you want a good two man splitter, a wedge-on-beam splitter with log lift and out-feed table is the way to go. One person doing the splitting and the other person bringing wood to the lift table and taking wood off the out-feed. Of course, you sit-on-your-milk crate guys wouldn't like that a wedge-on-beam won't go vertical.

That said, if my wedge-on-ram splitter had a hydraulic beam tilt, I just might be more inclined to use it vertical. The few times that I've contemplated going vertical, it seemed like too much bother to make the switch. I frequently move the splitter to be closer to the rounds and the idea of having to swing the beam just to move it means that I wrestle with the really big rounds instead. I use my P-handle dolly to move the really big rounds and have been thinking of putting a hook on it like what a cant hook has.

I thought their output was strangely slow for two guys with a souped-up machine.

I think he just brought the old guy along for company. One person could be pretty productive with that machine.

Great craftsmanship. Terrible paint color choice. Seems like this would be most productive with 40"+ rounds.

lukem said:
Great craftsmanship. Terrible paint color choice. Seems like this would be most productive with 40"+ rounds.

Watch the second video I linked to in the original post. He had a reason for the paint colors.... the wedge color is pretty funny.

N

Output is very related to ram speed. I've proven in timed tests how much more work can get down with a fast ram. His ram appears to be moving at the typical speed most machines powered by 2 speed pumps are capable of. You all have seen the skid steer processor, notice how fast the ram moves? That is the key to fast splitting. Over time alot of time is spent watching that ram retract. Retract time is wasted time even if you have time to waste. With all I said that dudes splitter is worlds above the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.