Slight difference in chain gauge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave11

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
Western PA
Last year, I bought a full chisel Windsor chain for my larger saw at the local saw shop, same place as I bought the saw. I ended up not trying the full chisel chain at that time, so it sat on the shelf. Now that I'm looking closer at the chain, it is marked Windsor 50J, which per the Windsor website, has the proper pitch of .325, but the gauge is listed as .050. The original chain which came on the saw (safety chain) is Husky H25, which is listed as having a gauge of .058.

So that's a difference of .008 inches. Is that enough to make a difference?

Windsor does make a full chisel chain of the exact pitch and gauge, but that's not what the shop sold me.

I doubt I have the receipt, and I doubt they'll make a change after a year, even though the chain has not been used.

Is the .008 difference enough for me to either not use the chain, or try to make the dealer swap it out?

Thanks.

dave11 said:
Last year, I bought a full chisel Windsor chain for my larger saw at the local saw shop, same place as I bought the saw. I ended up not trying the full chisel chain at that time, so it sat on the shelf. Now that I'm looking closer at the chain, it is marked Windsor 50J, which per the Windsor website, has the proper pitch of .325, but the gauge is listed as .050. The original chain which came on the saw (safety chain) is Husky H25, which is listed as having a gauge of .058.

Windsor does make a full chisel chain of the exact pitch and gauge, but that's not what the shop sold me.

I doubt I have the receipt, and I doubt they'll make a change after a year, even though the chain has not been used.

Is the .008 difference enough for me to either not use the chain, or try to make the dealer swap it out?

Thanks.

You dont want to use it! They should trade you if its still in the box!

smokinjay said:
dave11 said:

Thanks.

Problem is I doubt I'll find the receipt. I guess I should have checked it at the time I bought it, but I assumed the shop knew what they were doing. I guess I need to double check everything from now on.

dave11 said:
smokinjay said:
dave11 said:

Thanks.

Problem is I doubt I'll find the receipt. I guess I should have checked it at the time I bought it, but I assumed the shop knew what they were doing. I guess I need to double check everything from now on.

I would not worry about a receipt your not wanting cash back...The one your trading back is an easier sale as well.

I'll take it up there today and see what they say.

Otherwise, I'd need to change just the bar, if I ever wanted to use it, correct? Change the bar to a .050 gauge, but the sprocket should be okay?

dave11 said:
I'll take it up there today and see what they say.

Otherwise, I'd need to change just the bar, if I ever wanted to use it, correct? Change the bar to a .050 gauge, but the sprocket should be okay?

Sprocket should be change if your getting a new bar there pretty inexpensive and your wear would be reduced.

That .008 doesn't make a bit of difference if the saw is sitting there. The second you run that saw at it's rated 9600 rpms you are gonna fix a crappy mess. DO NOT USE IT.

Took the chain back to the saw shop. They refused to even swap the chain for the correct gauge, whether I had a receipt or not. They make their own chains, and apparently once you walk out the door with it, there's no return or swap.

So unless you know what exactly should be stamped on the chain they give you, you're at their mercy as far as getting the chain right.

He did offer to sell me their full chisel Stihl chain in the correct gauge, for $32.

So much for dealing locally.

I also have to wonder--What if I wasn't the sort of person who double-checked things like the saw chain I buy from the same dealer selling me the saw? I'd have put the chain on and fired it up.

dave11 said:
Took the chain back to the saw shop. They refused to even swap the chain for the correct gauge, whether I had a receipt or not. They make their own chains, and apparently once you walk out the door with it, there's no return or swap.

So unless you know what exactly should be stamped on the chain they give you, you're at their mercy as far as getting the chain right.

He did offer to sell me their full chisel Stihl chain in the correct gauge, for $32.

that sucks. good service from these people, even though they aren't a local business: http://www.baileysonline.com

Wait! Wait! Wait!!

They sold you a Husq, then when you tried to return the chain they tried to sell you a Stihl chain? That's rich!!

Maybe it's a Husq dealer thang. The one near me wouldn't grind my Stihl chains but did sell me 5 Oregun chains. Glad I bought the Stihl insteada the Husq, I'd hate to keep going back to tha obnoxius SOB.

Not only that the Stihl chains are better in my experience.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Wait! Wait! Wait!!

They sold you a Husq, then when you tried to return the chain they tried to sell you a Stihl chain? That's rich!!

Maybe it's a Husq dealer thang. The one near me wouldn't grind my Stihl chains but did sell me 5 Oregun chains. Glad I bought the Stihl insteada the Husq, I'd hate to keep going back to tha obnoxius SOB.

Not only that the Stihl chains are better in my experience.

They sell Husq and Stihl saws, but only sell chain from Stihl and Windsor. The original Husq chain came on the saw when I bought it.

I've never seen a dealer that sold both. I know I can be a miserable prick, but I'd not give those people anymore of my money. You can buy Husq's anywhere (though bix boxes only sell Jr models). Unfortunatly ya still can't buy Stihl online. Damn Germans!! :long:

Speaking from experience because I took my saw (Husky 51) into the local hardware for them to match a chain up for me years ago, it will run and it won't make a big mess but it will wear the bar and not cut well because every time there is some sideways force applied to the chain, it will try to can't sideways in the bar groove. Once I found out what had happened, I ordered a new bar from Bailey's. Everything works much better now with the proper match of bar and chain.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I've never seen a dealer that sold both. I know I can be a miserable prick, but I'd not give those people anymore of my money. You can buy Husq's anywhere (though bix boxes only sell Jr models). Unfortunatly ya still can't buy Stihl online. Damn Germans!! :long:

It is strange to see both Husq and Stihl at the same store, but the guys there aren't all that knowledgeable, and not friendly/helpful at all. I'll buy chain online from now on.

dave11 said:

I also have to wonder--What if I wasn't the sort of person who double-checked things like the saw chain I buy from the same dealer selling me the saw? I'd have put the chain on and fired it up.

32 bucks I could get a 32 inch for that! (stihl rsc)

hhhmmm low pro 3/8 pitch WAS .050 for many years,now it's gone and added .043......what's this world comming too? :sick:
this pitch and guage thing is a daily PITA for me. and my customers leave mad at ME !.....hhhmmm,maybe they should know their own stuff ;-)

fyrwoodguy said:
hhhmmm low pro 3/8 pitch WAS .050 for many years,now it's gone and added .043......what's this world comming too? :sick:
this pitch and guage thing is a daily PITA for me. and my customers leave mad at ME !.....hhhmmm,maybe they should know their own stuff ;-)

If they knew more than you would be out of the LOOP sorted of speak! lol

smokinjay said:
fyrwoodguy said:

He must be a Husq dealer.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
smokinjay said:
fyrwoodguy said:

He must be a Husq dealer.
lol

Great way to loose customers!

Status
Not open for further replies.