slowing burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

relax

some where this has been covered but any hearthstone users do anything with putting a restrictor plate in front of the fresh air intake to slow down the burn,I think my 8021 heritage could be slowed down a little after it gets in the cruse mode,I can close the air down all the way and seems if i lay a restriction plate in front of the air intake the stove slow down to a nice very slow burn ,..any ideas...zzzzzzzzzzzzim

You are kinda changing the design and testing characteristic's of the stove.
I tried it with my old stove with many adjustments and found the creosote deposits to become scary in a few days @ the least.
Monitor your chimney closely if you plan on experimenting.

You have found that the Hearthstone Heritage stove's primary air cannot be shut all the way. Also, you have found that you can eliminate primary AND secondary air (normally wide open) by shutting off the intake. The Heritage is designed to allow 100% of its air to be drawn through that duct which can be plumbed to an outside air duct, by shutting down that inlet you are able to choke off all air to the stove.

The more traditional way to accomplish what you are doing is by the use of a stovepipe damper.

I have considered adding a stovepipe damper because I believe that the stove should run slower when the primary air is shut all the way. Also consider that any device that allows you to close down the stove fully will help in the event of a chimney fire.

Highbeam said:
Also consider that any device that allows you to close down the stove fully will help in the event of a chimney fire.

Also consider that stove pipe dampers only restrict the pipe 80%.

Highbeam does it make a difference restricting outflow at the stack ,from restricting inflow at the intake,whats safest and most easy to control...ZZZim

That's a tough question, both restrictions are "whole system" restrictions and in theory should provide the same result. Leaving the flue wide open without a damper would ease the cleaning and would lower the likelihood of smoke spilling into the room if you forget to adjust the damper prior to openign the door. The intake restriction, if done well, would be superior in my opinion.

BB: Would it help a chimney fire situation to close the stove pipe damper? even if only 80% closed. If you have no stovepipe damper then the stovepipe fire can suck massive amounts of air through the wide open secondary air path and the partially open primary air.

I had a 550 degree unintentional fire in the heritage over the weekend. I fell asleep with the air at 25%. Even shutting primary air to zero the fire did not change. Excellent secondary combustion show if it wasn't for the stress of an overfire. The stove never climbed above 550 but going to bed was put on hold until the fire slowed down. I was thinking about this thread and how even a stovepipe damper would have helped.

Highbeam - I consider 550 on my stove to be cruising speed. A long ways away from what I would consider an over fire. Does your stove manual say otherwise? (honest question here folks)

I had the same question and see Hearthstone advises against continuous burning at 600 in this stove. The concern appears to be cracking the stones. Odd, though is that the Fireview lists 4-600 as normal operation range and 6-700 as high burn range.

Best way to get a re-burn stove's attention is to slap a piece of aluminum foil over the secondary air intake.

BeGreen said:
I had the same question and see Hearthstone advises against continuous burning at 600 in this stove. The concern appears to be cracking the stones. Odd, though is that the Fireview lists 4-600 as normal operation range and 6-700 as high burn range.

I was wondering about that, cuz I don't even blink an eye unless I see the pointer at 700 and rising. Just goes to show that its not a "one size fits all" type of business.

BrotherBart said:
Best way to get a re-burn stove's attention is to slap a piece of aluminum foil over the secondary air intake.

Hmmm.....I usually slap it on the ash pan and call it bad little names.

BG's right, the 600 overfire temp is oddly low. I run the stove normally in the 400-450 range and it makes plenty of heat. The soap is slow to heat or cool so if I ever hit 600 then I can be sure that it will be sitting at 600 for quite some time, or continuously, which is not my intention and is prohibited in the manual.

I wouldn't say I had a runwaway stove or an overfire but the lack of control was evident.

If this was a plate steel stove like my old Lopi then 800 is a more realistic overfire temp.

The Napoleon 1402 manual says do not operate stove over 700 degrees. Should I be too concerned if a a fire reaches that point or a little above for a few minutes as long as it doesn't stay there continually?

Status
Not open for further replies.