Small stove for kitchen area??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lacewood

Sep 8, 2008
So NH
Good morning all

Have a extended cape style house, with kitchen/family room that is roughly 600SF.....Currently heating house with a wood insert in living room, which is on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen/family room area. The insert keeps the house warm in all rooms but the kitchen area, have tried fans etc to push the wood heat around but in my opinion there is just not enough heat to go around.

Thinking of installing a small pellet stove in the family room, my wife stopped in the stove shop and the person working there thought that any size stove would be too big for the space and it would not be worth the trouble or expense to install...does that make sense to anybody? Seems like a nice small unit would heat the kitchen area and any excess heat would just spread through the house and we would not run the insert so hard?

Any advice?

Thanks

Look at the Enviro Mini. It has a small footprint, and comes with a good warranty. I have recently installed one for much the same reasons as you. I've only had it a week or so, but so far, it's been great. The "automation" of it is quite handy, and it seems to really throw out the heat.

I second the Mini...its small, cute, well constructed, and pretty easy to deal with. You might also look at something like the Lennox Montage.

Any unit that is Thermostatically controlled, Cant be "Too Big" for the area. It turns on with a Call for heat, and turns off when heat is not needed. Like hemlock said above about the Mini. "The automation of it is quite handy".. There still is maintenance required. More so than a wood-stove. But if kept up and kept clean. Some people run them for weeks between cleanings. I go 1 week. Every Sunday, but its not a chore. Something I enjoy to do.

Other smaller units besides the Mini (Very nice unit) is the Quadrafire Santa Fe (wont break the bank) a Harman P-43 (Another great unit) and if you wanted to go really cheap (still good quality and customer support is 2nd to none) Go with the Englander. All are great models. There 10-CPM may be a little large, But a Fantastic stove. The 25-PDVC is probably more the size you are looking for though.

Keep us updated.

Hello

I agree with Dexter, My neighbor purchased the smaller Englander 25-PDVC from Home Depot for his livingroom kitchen area of his home. At first it put out too much heat and it was too hot. Then he talked to England Works support and adjusted the bottom 3 buttons. Now he could not be happier. Just the right amount of heat for him in the parlor and his wife in the kitchen!! He can even add a themostat on it too!!

http://www.englanderstoves.com/25-pdvc.html

e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Englander-Pelle...090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230fb21f92

A slightly used one can be a real bargain!!

CraigsList NH $750
http://nh.craigslist.org/hsh/2417762399.html

For sale is a Englander 25-PDVC wood pellet stove, also i am selling it with the vent pipe. The pipe is 5 36" sections, four elbows, two clean out tees and the outlet. The stove also comes with a Cheetah ash vacuum purchased last winter. The stove will be 4 years old in November, this past winter i replaced the two drive motors, all gaskets, front glass and main drive auger. We averaged 4 tons of New England wood pellets a year with this stove. As you can see in the picture i have extend the hopper to hold 80 lbs and added a 6" hot air take off to better distribute the air throughout the house. Stove was always kept well cleaned while in use and plugged into a surge protector.

Don2222 said:
Hello

I agree with Dexter, My neighbor purchased the smaller Englander 25-PDV from Home Depot for his living-room kitchen area of his home. At first it put out too much heat and it was too hot. Then he talked to England Works support and adjusted the bottom 3 buttons. Now he could not be happier. Just the right amount of heat for him in the parlor and his wife in the kitchen!! He can even add a themostat on it too!!

http://www.englanderstoves.com/25-pdvc.html

e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Englander-Pelle...090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230fb21f92

A slightly used one can be a real bargain!!

CraigsList NH $750
http://nh.craigslist.org/hsh/2417762399.html

For sale is a Englander 25-PDV wood pellet stove, also i am selling it with the vent pipe. The pipe is 5 36" sections, four elbows, two clean out tees and the outlet. The stove also comes with a Cheetah ash vacuum purchased last winter. The stove will be 4 years old in November, this past winter i replaced the two drive motors, all gaskets, front glass and main drive auger. We averaged 4 tons of New England wood pellets a year with this stove. As you can see in the picture i have extend the hopper to hold 80 lbs and added a 6" hot air take off to better distribute the air throughout the house. Stove was always kept well cleaned while in use and plugged into a surge protector.

Wow... Don, that last one that you found on Craiglist for $750. Has been "Modified" to the Maximum. Hopper extension is O.K. and Legit. Although I would be afraid of buying anything that altered the manufacturers air-flow design. The Air vents are blocked on the front (Looks like high temp aluminum tape) and a Hole had to be Cut in the top for the Plenum they added. They basically turned it into a Pellet Furnace. It may work great. But I would not want to buy someone science experiment. THE UL LISTING ON THAT STOVE, DOES NOT APPLY NOW.

The Ducts you have do NOT alter the stove itself, and would not bother me if your stove was sold used. Your stove is still "Stock"... That stove, is Not. I love there hearth pad too. Cinder Blocks... Love It.

Either way, A new 25-PDV can be had at HD in the summer for around $600-$800.. I got my 25-PDV (much more BTU's than PDV) for $300 with all piping, and almost a half ton of pellets. Good deals are out there.

Hello

If you want a stock used 25-PDVC I would go with this one
http://nh.craigslist.org/hsh/2397759047.html

2009 Englander Pellet stove gently used maybe 200 bags at the most was burnt in this unit it has a 40 pound hopper
and1500 sq' heating capacity.Paid $1375 This is a very good running stove .$700 Firm

I agree on the Enviro mini, but the Thelin Gnome is a great looking little stove, and will do up to 750 Sq. Ft.

imacman said:
I agree on the Enviro mini, but the Thelin Gnome is a great looking little stove, and will do up to 750 Sq. Ft.

I agree on those too Imacman and the Englander. They are all good ones!!

Just a matter how$ much you want to spend!

Status
Not open for further replies.