small stove help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smallcabin

Nov 20, 2010
Georgia
Hi all, I have been watching on this site for a while and have a few questions about a small stove for a cabin of mine. The cabin is 384 sq ft, but has 10 foot walls and the peak of the ceiling is about 14 ft, however the cabin will be insulated but does not have electricty. What stove would you get and why. I bought a brand new Summers 12 fp off craigs list, and a friend was nice enough to pick it up for me. When I inspected it I was not impressed with the fact that there was nothing in the way to stop the heat from just going straight up the chimney pipe. I heard someone else say it was like a enclosed fireplace and I would have to agree with them. So I made 2 mistakes...1) I did not look at the stove in person before having a friend pick it up for me, and 2) I did not look to this site for advice. As luck would have my neighbor just bought the stove from me, so no money lost on my part. Tractor supply has the us stove model aps1100b epa on sale for $349. Do you think that this stove would work well for me? If the stove does not last all night that would be okay because I could always fire up a propane heater. I was just thinking about the overall volume of the cabin with the 10 ft walls and tall ceiling and if the us stove would be enough for it. Hope this makes sense to everyone, and I apreciate you advise.

Sounds like it should be fine, might be too much at times, just load less wood or open a window.

Thanks for the advise...I might go to Tractor Supply tomorrow and pick one up. Thanks for all the folks that run and add to this site, I have learned a lot about stoves and how long to season wood. And yes I do have 2 year old seasoned oak to run in the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.