Small Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mecreature

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
indiana
78" width, 66" depth, 72" high. Inside dimensions. I am figuring 1 1/2 cord. +/- The Fence siding is 72" high

Built over the weekend with all old lumber from a tear-down and addition/remodel I did last winter.
With exception of 2 new 10ft treated 4x4s. And left over chip board I dug out of the dumpster the builders tossed.
It is about a 20' walk from the back porch, faces south and gets tons of sun already.
It has fence siding all the way around spaced about 1/2 inch apart. (pretty tight)

Filled first with 50% cottonwood, 50% mulberry and pine cut this time last year (pretty crappy mix but it has to go.)
I can fill it again with this mix then move get on to the locust, hickory, cherry, maple, hackberry. (2 cord +).

Everything else sits uncover still. I would like to build another 8x8 shed but the rest will probably just get covered when the time comes.

Close up pic shows plenty of mulberry rounds in the mix some pretty good size.
Just thought I would share.

Attachments

• shedF.jpg
    shedF.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 640
  • rounds.jpg
    rounds.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 613
Sounds like it was a good weekend project and you did well. You call that a crappy mix but that will burn really good for the first fires of the season.

Sounds like it may be small . . . but pretty close to free in terms of cost to build!

yip the cost was right. It has a roof. With the sun out it should dry snow and water.
I will run a tarp on a roll from top to bottom on the front to keep drifting snow out.
It should get me thru a few weeks burning.

Looks good, hope thats the good stuff?

smokinjay said:

that good stuff will have to wait till the coldest of winter. The hickory is special times (until I get more).

I ended up with 2 big face cord of Black Locust (big splits). It looks ready to go now but I will save that for January.

Thats looks great and the price was right.

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:

that good stuff will have to wait till the coldest of winter. The hickory is special times (until I get more).

I ended up with 2 big face cord of Black Locust (big splits). It looks ready to go now but I will save that for January.

I put 4 splits into the fire pit Sat. Night it is ready. Blue flames and moved everyone back a couple feet even with a low fire. ;-)

Great weekend project.
Dry findable wood this winter will be nice.
Kinda of a "warm" feeling when you look at it. Nice eh?
Good work!

I like it! It's a great place to store your ready to burn wood.. Keep the remaining ready to burn wood covered on top and reload when empty and you're good to go.. Being little to no cost is the best part..

Ray

I like it..need to do something similiar here that's close to the back door

It's far enough away to feel comfortable, I think.
I had to move a 500 gallon propane tank over 20 ft and run a new line.
It sits right behind the shed, behind the garage. $6.75.00 to fill it to 80%..
I hope to not have to refill it this winter. Better yet I would like to be left with 50%.

The wife didn't like where I put it. I told her I would stain it to match the deck, which I stained natural tone redwood.
We have a japanese maple we moved while building and it is suppose to go right in front of the shed. I think there is still room Its only about 8 ft round. we'll see

thanks for the comments

Attachments

• porch.jpg
    porch.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 361
  • porch2.jpg
    porch2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 385
Looks great. A cord and a half 20' from the back porch under a roof sounds pretty good too.

Pretty cool, and I think it looks nice, too. In the world of Naval gunnery, that would be called a Ready Service Locker. Bring ammo up from the Magazine when you have some time, and then the RSL is always stocked, ready to go, and close by when you need it. :cheese: Rick

Looks great you got room for alot more on that Deck.

Very nice. Nothing wrong with Mulberry,I look forward to scrounging a bit every year,quite plentiful around here.About the same density as Red Oak,dries much faster,harder to split usually,though its worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.