SMOKE BACKDRAFTING INTO HOUSE - 2 level -wind direction?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keith0

Aug 1, 2008
salt city, Hutchinson, KS
Can't get the stove to take off this morning!! Thinking I may need more stove pipe?? Stove & pipe are located in single story part of the house with the second story peak 12 feet to the East, winds out of south east & smoke is backing up into the house. North-South- West all draft fine is OK! Seems the wind must be coming off the top of the peak (east & west gable ends)-i--^---^ . Trying to figure how much I need to go up? Thanks from the Salt City & Pheasant/turkey country.. too many turkey!!

Welcome! Not too many of us heartlanders on here, so nice to see a fellow Kansan.

Code would say the flue needs to be 2 feet taller than any roof or other structure within 10 feet, so that would be a good start. Beyond that, I'd say go with the next standard increment - ie: If you're installing 3 foot sections of insulated pipe, try one section and see if that helps. Also note that higher outside temps and higher humidity make for less draft, so if the problem goes away when it gets cold, it could mean you're on the low side of acceptable draft. Lastly, a few other things to check...make sure there are no other appliances venting indoor air outside...bath fans, clothes dryer, kitchen vent fans, etc and that the flue is clean and any rain cap/screen is free of creosote.

I haven't any experience with the windproof raincaps but many people swear by them. Extending the chimney might help but will probably have to be braced. Opening a window on the side facing the wind might be enough to get the draft started.

Still having problems, (NAPOLEON 1100 by the way) put a 3 foot section up & now the wind is dead, got it going somewhat but try & open it up to feed it some more wood & smokes us out! Only been going about a month & never had any problems like this before?? Woods the same.. can something get blocked up/gummed up with a slow fire???

keith0 said:
Can't get the stove to take off this morning!! Thinking I may need more stove pipe?? Stove & pipe are located in single story part of the house with the second story peak 12 feet to the East, winds out of south east & smoke is backing up into the house. North-South- West all draft fine is OK! Seems the wind must be coming off the top of the peak (east & west gable ends)-i--^---^ . Trying to figure how much I need to go up? Thanks from the Salt City & Pheasant/turkey country.. too many turkey!!
Try cracking a window open slightly that is located beneath the fireplace if possible, like in your basement. This will do nothing but help. A picture of your roof line would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.