smoke filled the room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4g63tmirage

Feb 1, 2009
penna
Just put a used Sherwood industries EF1 in our basement, had very little usage before I got it. Everything went great untill shutdown, it started to pour smoke out of everywere and fill the room up to the point we had to open windows. Ran it about 2 hours before shutdown. It was almost like the exhaust got clogged up, any ideas ?

scot

"Shutdown" eh? Usually we just let a fire burn itself out, when we want it to go out. What did YOU do? Sounds like you took some intentional actions other than letting it burn down on its own.

The only time we had smoke coming into the house, was on one occasion when a poorly prepped start up, and a bad drafting day, led to smoke hanging around in the firebox, and trying to find escape routes through various nooks and crannies in the stove and where the stove connects to the flue pipe. Taught me that stoves are not air tight (for one thing) and also taught me to be careful how I "encourage" things.

-Soupy1957

soupy,

It's a pellet stove they have an on/off switch.

scot,

Please describe very little usage?

I'd give that stove a really good cleaning, all ash traps, combustion blower and cavity, etc ..

How did you shut it down?

The combustion blower normally continues to run until the proof of fire system says there is no more fire (or it thinks there is no more fire).

I have heard that if your exhaust chimney has a bit of height to it the pellet stove can actually pull a small draft that would minimize the amount of smoke entering the house in the event of a power failure etc. I have experianced it here a few times and I got no smoke at all in the house but I also think that could in part to the pellet stove exhaust chimney is not on the side of the prevailing wind.
I have heard of people who have smoke issues when they direct vent straight out horizontal with no vertical and having smoke issues on windy days when having the exhaust chimney on prevailing wind side of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.