(Smoke) Free at Last!!! - XXV and Selkirk DVT Content - Now with Burn Photos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lbcynya

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2006
W Michigan
Success!!! Today was my first smoke free (in the house) burn in 1.5 years... So some may have picked up on a few ornery comments about professional installers and Simpson Duravent, well, they both did me wrong. The installer, after 5 attempts, couldn't stop the Simpson pipe smoking at just about every joint. They also preferred to use a 90 at the stove end since "90's leak less than T's...yeah, right. The only option was tape at every joint since they "sealed" the pipe joints with Mill Pack preventing them from being disassembled. This wouldn't work since the stove is in a finished basement. Had to fire the installers, but they were at least decent enough to give me all my install $$$ back so I could start over and take the DIY route. This was a bigger challenge than I anticipated since I wanted to switch from 4" Simpson to 6" Selkirk.

Pictured is my new leak free install using Selkirk DT. This pipe uses a 4" exhaust pipe surrounded by a 6"+ diameter pipe that acts as a cold air intake - or more commonly know as an OAK. Nice part about this solution is any small leaks (if there are any) in the 4" internal pipe will be sucked back into the stove and not escape to the stove. Lots of joints between the stove and the first 6" section, so went a little crazy with the RTV, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Selkirk uses a siliconized gasket on the 6" sections to seal each pipe section, so leaking is not likely. INSTALL TIP - I used some vegetable oil to lubricate each gasket to allow the pipe sections to slide together easily. Oil will burn off cleanly and it eliminates the likelihood of tearing a gasket while assembling.

Anyway, will update with burn pictures when it cools down a bit. Had it running earlier, but the basement got up to 76, so I had to shut her down... :)

For those that are looking at an up and out install, this is the only pipe to get, IMO. Clean, incorporates and OAK and looks fantastic. Really tall installations could be interesting since the incoming air might cool the flue gasses a bit too much, so keep that in mind.

Should be a warm, toasty and smoke free winter of 2011/12! :) :)

Attachments

• DSC_0005-W1000.jpg
    DSC_0005-W1000.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 548
  • DSC_0007-W1000.jpg
    DSC_0007-W1000.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 547
  • DSC_0008-W1000.jpg
    DSC_0008-W1000.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 555
  • DSC_0009-W1000.jpg
    DSC_0009-W1000.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 546
  • DSC_0010-W1000.jpg
    DSC_0010-W1000.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 538
  • DSC_0006-W700.jpg
    DSC_0006-W700.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 540
Congrats on the install.....looks great! Good to see that TrippLite surge unit too.

Waiting for the burning pics..........

imacman said:
Congrats on the install.....looks great! Good to see that TrippLite surge unit too.

Waiting for the burning pics..........

Thanks! Yes, I'm a huge TrippLite fan! Ultrablok/Isobar Ultra are the best!!!

I have the same Selkirk vent and it has been great going into my 6th heating season....

Kinda funny as now I am considering going to a plain 4" vent with a separate oak when I install my new (to me) St. Croix Greenfield that I just bought. It's just a little cleaner looking... I may recycle the other vent to my pepin that will be going in the shop....

Using DT on two stoves, wouldn't have it any other way.

good looking install.

Some gratuitous burn photos! :)

Attachments

• DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 387
  • DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 389
Nice looking install.
The only thing I have found is that the screen on the cap gets fouled with fly ash. So if your stove gets sluggish check the screen on the cap. Most of our customers just remove the screen during burn season.

Good to see that your on top of it finally.

Really sad when the "pros" can't get it right.

I have used simpson a few times (early design) and had to silicone every seam to get it smoke leak free.

The last install I did on our latest whitfield was using the welded seam stuff with the O rings.

I still had to use the foil tape on the joints to get it 100% keak free though.

Enjoy the stove and the smoke free house.

Snowy

Resiburner said:
Nice looking install.
The only thing I have found is that the screen on the cap gets fouled with fly ash. So if your stove gets sluggish check the screen on the cap. Most of our customers just remove the screen during burn season.

Interesting. My screen is a 1/2" grid, so I never would have suspected that it would get fouled. I'll keep an eye on it over time. Thanks!!

Thanks to all for the compliments. I'm VERY happy with the outcome. It's hard to see, but the hearth is "cherry" tile so most think it's wood until they realize that there is grout lines.

Next is how to get the heat upstairs to offset my cord wood usage. Lots of challenges there, but I'll start with a fan blowing cold air down the stairs. But that's another topic for later.

lbcynya said:
Resiburner said:
Nice looking install.

Interesting. My screen is a 1/2" grid, so I never would have suspected that it would get fouled. I'll keep an eye on it over time. Thanks!!

I double that recommendation. Mine was giving me issues last Spring, so I will keep it removed during burning season. I was surprised too.

Status
Not open for further replies.