Smoke from Vent T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eschills

Hearth Supporter
Aug 9, 2008
Long Island NY
I have been noticing a smoky odor in the house but do not see smoke. I have even started getting headaches as well. I have sealed every connection on my vent pipes. I did a smoke test and still see smoke coming from the bottom of the T. I have not sealed the twist connection there as I want to be able to remove it and vacuum when necessary. It actually looks like the smoe is coming from the bottom of the T and not where the cap twists on.Here are pictures of the pipes. They are messy from the sealant. Any ideas? Can a T be defective?

Attachments

• IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 279
Is the clean out gasket in the proper position?

There should be a gasket that gets compressed against the inner pipe at the bottom of that tee. If it is damaged, out of position, not compressed, or missing you'll have a leak.

It is also possible that there is a hole that goes through the inner pipe caused by machine screws that were too long, this can result in a bypassing of the gasket seal.

If its leaking at the clean out. (please check what smokey said first)

What you could use is foil tape on it. This is removable when you need to clean the pipe.

jay

It might be a rope gasket on your pipe, I have a high temperature rubber type one on mine.

I second what Jay says about a foil tape seal since you want to be able to open the joint for cleaning.

It isn't good to have any leaks in an exhaust system. CO kills.

Ok, I replaced the rope seal with a new one from an extra piece of pipe I had. During start up I still saw a little smoke from the T. I will get some foil tape and try that. 99% of leaks have stopped. Aren't Dura Vent pipes supposed to not need sealant?

Despite what you may be told or read about exhaust pipe not needing to be sealed, you have to remember that any mechanical joint can fail to seal for any number of reasons.

Never rely on one layer of protection when a heating system is involved.

Recommended practice is to seal all joints unless it is prohibited by the instructions. If that is ever the case I recommend using another venting system.

That's why I love this place. Unlimited information and people willing to help.

I just got my stove and had the same problem replaced the t-vent with a 90.I feel it is a lot safer this way less fumes in the house.

Ok so I used foil tape on the T at the bottom where cap screws on. Still smelling smoke upstairs, but less. Finally put foil tap on all connections and now do not smell any smoke. I guess sealer did not work well. Can I paint this foil tape with the same paint I used on the pipes?

If the paint will stick go ahead and give it a try.

The sealant is normally used when assembling the joints and not as an outside application. The outside use is normally done at the tee junction and as a backup to the first two seals (the one the pipe system has and the first bead of sealant that is normally inside one of the pipe sections at the joints). The third level is usually the foil tape.

I'm glad you got rid of the smoke, now if you get a CO detector you should be in good shape.

SmokeyTheBear said:
If the paint will stick go ahead and give it a try.

The sealant is normally used when assembling the joints and not as an outside application. The outside use is normally done at the tee junction and as a backup to the first two seals (the one the pipe system has and the first bead of sealant that is normally inside one of the pipe sections at the joints). The third level is usually the foil tape.

I'm glad you got rid of the smoke, now if you get a CO detector you should be in good shape.

I actually have two smokeCO detectors installed right at the stairway to the upstairs. I put one low on the wall and one on the ceiling. They never went off. I test them often. My wife and kids also never complained about headaches. I guess I am just very sensitive to the smoke. Maybe I will get a digital CO detector so I can see the actual PPM. Thanks for all the help with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.