Smoke Smell at Startup - Door Glass Mounting??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imsocold

Mar 14, 2008
Central Oregon
I have found a little strip of grey asbestos-type material on the floor, presumably from the glass door. I thought there are gaps along the top to allow air to pass through. Unfortunately, I can’t figure out what the configuration is for the glass in the top channel.

I have been getting smoke smell at startup.

The door seal is perfect, because I can see the change from grey to white.
I do annual stove removal, scrape, scrub, power brush, replace/repair seals as needed. I refurbish and lube the motors, clean and reseal vent pipe. So, I think I have eliminated many of the other variables.

QuadraFire CB1200
Hot Shots softwood 100% Oregon pellets

The stove is a vacuum until it gets to the combustion blower outlet, I would recheck from there. On first installation I had smoke smell on start up, it was the adapter to the stove leaking out the air space toward the stove. Found it using a flashlight in the dark.

Interesting. I will take the opportunity to sneak around the stove looking for smoke monsters like I am looking for the smoke security system on Lost

I am wondering, non the less, about the top mounting of the glass in the door.
If there is supposed to be some insulation along the top of the glass, and now it is gone, then just before flame, the pellets smolder and there is a huge cloud of smoke filling the entire stove. It would want to leak out wherever there is a crack, since the vacuum isn't strong enough to move the smoke directly in the shortest route possible, straight over the top of the burn plates. Then right at combustion, the smoke vaporizes and runs out the vent like a scared cat.

The vacuum should be strong enough unless something is plugged, if plugged that much the vacuum switch would give a no fire.
That is how the window air wash works, air coming in at the top. If you look on the outside of the window, the gasket stops at the top, gasket at sides and bottom only.

As I said before....

The glass should have a gasket all the way around where it meets the frame, and then on one side (top or bottom depending on the serial #) it should be open where the gasket presses against the firebox.

If the stove is smoking that much, that could be the only problem. How long does smoke roll in the firebox before it lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.