smoke test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
can anyone tell me how i can do a smoke test to my stoves. a simple way to find the leaks of air.

fbelec said:
can anyone tell me how i can do a smoke test to my stoves. a simple way to find the leaks of air.
Lots of people use incense sticks. Since I smoke I have always just passed a cigarette down all of the possible leak spots and when it passes one, with a good burn going, it sucks the smoke right in. The flame of a lighter or a candle will work the same way. Just don't let the stove melt the candle in your hand. The leak will pull the flame right toward it.

Smoke pellet. Stuff a rag in the exhaust light a smoke pellet and close the door.
Another way is to wait till dark shut down all lights and place a 100 watt bulb in the stove.
Close the door and walk around it to see the light leaks. For better results remove the flue
insert 150 or 200 watt bulb in the flue exit stuff rags in and observe the light leaks

elkimmeg said:
Another way is to wait till dark shut down all lights and place a 100 watt bulb in the stove.
Close the door and walk around it to see the light leaks. For better results remove the flue
insert 150 or 200 watt bulb in the flue exit stuff rags in and observe the light leaks

However, that won't work for stoves with glass doors unless one thoroughly masks off the glass with opaque material.

I agree but it will point out leaks other than the glass area and door. But great point
Masking tape and black crate paper will do the trick

Fill your stove full of water from the top , make sure you tape off the ash cleanout on the bottom. ........a.........I think i'll go to bed now. IF you have any problems call Elk .

NOTE: the above statement was a JOKE only . .....................dont call Elk.

and ya might not want to fill your stove with water. ( even tho i have seen some stoves that looked like that had ) . carry on.

one question roospike

if i fill my stove with water would that be considered a boiler and not a stove:)

these smoke bombs or smoke pellet does anybody have a brand name

thanks for the reply's. it's time for the defiant to get it's once over and cough

fbelec said:
one question roospike

if i fill my stove with water would that be considered a boiler and not a stove:)
Ha , good question ............ i would think it would be a boiler but a cold one at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.