Smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chummly

Aug 25, 2019
Vernon Ct.
I have just recently had my Profile 30-2 cleaned. Upon trial the tech and I noticed a smoke smell coming into the house. He did notice that it was not coming from the door. He did replace all gaskets and cleaned the eye and chimney. Seems like it was coming from the heat exchanger. Can they go bad?

They can. On older profile 30s or really any stove, welds can break and fireboxes can start leaking and heat exchangers can crack. I’ve seen it happen

Th
Is there any way that I can test the heat exchange tubes to rule them out as a problem? Can they be removed?
ey cannot. All you can do is clean it and replace the gaskets. It might be worth it to take it outside and blow it out good with a air compressor.