Smoked and moist Salmon dinner on your wood pellet smoker without all the fuss!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
Many of the Salmon recipes on the Internet involve brining and wrapping and putting in the fridge for 4 hours and drying for 1-2 hours by an open window. This is fine for that nice Smokey and salty flavor.
I wanted a moist smoked Salmon Dinner without all the fuss!
After a couple of tries, I found that if I set the smoker for 275 Deg F and set the meat probe to 140 until the first filet hits 140 Degs F inside! Then it is done and still perfectly moist!
This takes 1.5 to 2 hours and bingo. It does not have the full Smokey salty flavor but it is still moist and cooked just right for my taste!
In preparation, I asked the woman at the fish counter for 5.0 lbs of fresh wild caught Alaskan Silverbrite salmon and for her to cut it to hand size pieces and keep the skin on.
We brought it home and just used a simple rub dill weed, onion powder, smocked paprika and a little salt! After the smoker was up to 275 Deg F we inserted the meat probe set to 140 Deg F and bingo!
Fresh cooked super moist salmon without all the fuss!

6A3BF049-9159-4625-9A3C-345666F7AF72.jpeg 77165B2A-DC5E-45C2-AD82-A138E0B010A6.png

Looking good and I love the humor--18,99 All natural nothing....lol clancey
That is the store ad for $8.99 lb. Actually I believe natural salmon means it is caught at sea as opposed to salmon that is raised on an ocean farm like the Atlantic Norwegian Salmon that the store also sells.

Attachments

• A8C2813B-7B21-4539-877E-0F5552641FCD.png
    A8C2813B-7B21-4539-877E-0F5552641FCD.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 126
Yea I understand that but look at that third box and it says " $18.99 wild all natural nothing..and then I cannot read the rest and I know that they mean nothing artificial in it but I took it as humorous..I love salmon and my favorite is lox and bagel with cream cheese and onion and tomato and lettuce---mmmm good....Glad your having a nice cook out day...Seafood and food in general is so good tasting on the east coast and It is just a different taste--pizza and spag too---you made me hungry and a little homesick for the food...Glad you had a nice cook out..clancey

Yea I understand that but look at that third box and it says " $18.99 wild all natural nothing..and then I cannot read the rest and I know that they mean nothing artificial in it but I took it as humorous..I love salmon and my favorite is lox and bagel with cream cheese and onion and tomato and lettuce---mmmm good....Glad your having a nice cook out day...Seafood and food in general is so good tasting on the east coast and It is just a different taste--pizza and spag too---you made me hungry and a little homesick for the food...Glad you had a nice cook out..clancey
LOL, Thanks for explaining, I missed that, :)
I like lox on a bagel too even though it is not cooked. They must cure it well. :)

I do mine the same way except I soak a thin cedar plank in water for a couple of hours and place the Salmon on the plank and cook to 140 on my pellet grill. Yum Yum.
Ron

Tell me do you actually get a cedar taste or something on that---but I bet it is wonderful and moist...clancey

I do mine the same way except I soak a thin cedar plank in water for a couple of hours and place the Salmon on the plank and cook to 140 on my pellet grill. Yum Yum.
Ron

I do that on my normal grill: soak the plank, soak wood chips, place those in alu foil (completely closed but using a knife to poke three or so small holes in the top) near the burner and light the grill. Once the chips start smoking I put the plank with the (salmon, chicken, or what I fancy that day) on the top rack. Works like a charm.

Yuk is all I can say. Not my idea of something good but then I don't much care for any fish except anchovies on my pizza.

I'll take an elk roast or a good old steak butchered from one of my steers here on the farm any day.

Fish..no way.

My hunting buddies all fish and I get invited regularly and I always pass. Slimy things.

I guess I'm an omnivore; that steak you talk about makes my mouth water...

Talk about slimy things---that eel is horrible and you can't even hold it..My father loved eel---not me...That steak sounds really good and now I am hungry again...My late husband caught catfish out of the Gulf and filet them so so well taking different parts away and put a breading on them and they were soooo good. He was a wonderful cook...I was spoiled...clancey

Reactions: Don2222
Eel, isn't that another slimy thing? Yuk.