Smoked Chicken

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
Bought a Chargriller Kamado about a week ago and have been playing around with it. Here is one of my cooks from this weekend, 2 5.5lb chickens cooked at 365°F for 1.5 hours to an internal thigh temp of 165°F. I cooked these birds over natural lump charcoal and a few chunks of hickory and they were tasty and juicy. This new Kamado puts out the juiciest food I have ever cooked or smoked :)

Right after I finished these bad boys I ran the temps up to 600°F and seared about 12 deer steaks sorry no pics of the deer steaks since all I could think about was eating at that point. :lol:

Reactions: aroth
Looking good. I hear they make good pizzas too. I can't justify putting out that much coin on a BGE, but I might look into yours. Where did you get it from or do you have a link?

fishingpol said:
Looking good. I hear they make good pizzas too. I can't justify putting out that much coin on a BGE, but I might look into yours. Where did you get it from or do you have a link?

I hear you on the price of the BGE.......I have looked at them for 3 years and just couldn't justify dropping the coin on one! While this cooker is less expensive I it still seems to be well valued and worth the money. Bye the way it is $300 bucks at Lowes

Check out the these reviews from Man Cave Meals he has a really great 6 part review up on them!!!! Definitely watch reviews 4,5, and 6

Man Cave Meals

Here is another great review thread on this Kamado

Kamado review thread

What? After cooking two 5.5 lbs of yard bird, you put on 12 steaks???
Either invite less people over, or quite eating so much, or you'll burst!!!

(Looks great)

Gary_602z said:
Dang they come with a beerholder AND a cellphone? :lol: Looking good,what do you have on the chicken to have them browned up like that?

Gary

LOL No they don't come with a beer holder and the think next to my beer is for the thermometer in them while they were cooking.
I rubbed them down with olive oil and homemade poultry rub that I keep mixed up just for chicken.

yooperdave said:
What? After cooking two 5.5 lbs of yard bird, you put on 12 steaks???
Either invite less people over, or quite eating so much, or you'll burst!!!

(Looks great)

I have put on a few lbs but I don't think I could eat that much myself :lol:
We had about twelve adults and 8 or nine kids running around on Saturday and there wasn't much left over after dinner.

Dang it! I just got done eatin' supper and I stumble onto this thread.....that looks mighty tasty!!

Can anybody say"Hearth.com Road Trip"? Shoot if Brother Bart would fuel up the jet and pick up us guys in Michigan (grab a milk crate for Dennis to set on) we could be there in a few hours! :lol:

Gary

I could fly the jet, it is the landing I would have any problems with! :)

Gary

Gary_602z said:
Can anybody say"Hearth.com Road Trip"? Shoot if Brother Bart would fuel up the jet and pick up us guys in Michigan (grab a milk crate for Dennis to set on) we could be there in a few hours! :lol:

Gary

Gary

Come on down and have some :)

I'm planning on slow smoking a 12lb Pork Butt for 10 hours this weekend over mesquite......I'll post some pics of that if I manage to get it done.

I've been looking at an Egg for a long time. I suppose you haven't used one, but do you think it is a fair comparison? I'm not looking for perfection, just something easier to hold temps for a long period of time, like for a shoulder or brisket. I'm fine with ribs on my chargriller with the side box, but it takes too much fiddling. Plus, this might be the last year for it. Looking pretty rough.

Where is Athens? I've seen the sign somewhere in my travels.

certified106 said:
Gary_602z said:

Gary

Gary

Come on down and have some :)

I'm planning on slow smoking a 12lb Pork Butt for 10 hours this weekend over mesquite......I'll post some pics of that if I manage to get it done.

There is a guy from work that injects Cider Jack into a pork butt until it jiggles and then does a 9 hour smoke.

Cooking with firewood. Oak and apple are what gets burned most often.

smsmoker1.jpg

smsmoker2.jpg

This was soon after the cooker was built. I know it should have been painted, but cooking is more fun than painting

zip8187.jpg

fuelfarmer said:
Cooking with firewood. Oak and apple are what gets burned most often.

smsmoker1.jpg

smsmoker2.jpg

This was soon after the cooker was built. I know it should have been painted, but cooking is more fun than painting

zip8187.jpg

Nice!

Man, that is one awesome smoker!!! Really really cool that you built it yourself! What time and temp did you cook the ribs at!

Those chickens look great. Nothing like cooking on a wood fire. I have gas, charcoal and a Traeger pellet grill..yet, I still build a wood fire in the fire pit just because....

certified106 said:
Man, that is one awesome smoker!!! Really really cool that you built it yourself! What time and temp did you cook the ribs at!

In the 250 deg. range for about 5 hrs. Temperature does go up and down a little while cooking.

fuelfarmer said:
certified106 said:

In the 250 deg. range for about 5 hrs. Temperature does go up and down a little while cooking.

Yup the fluctuations are to be expected but that is the same way I do mine!

[quote author="certified106" date="1331602750"]Bought a Chargriller Kamado about a week ago and have been playing around with it. Here is one of my cooks from this weekend, 2 5.5lb chickens cooked at 365°F for 1.5 hours to an internal thigh temp of 165°F. I cooked these birds over natural lump charcoal and a few chunks of hickory and they were tasty and juicy. This new Kamado puts out the juiciest food I have ever cooked or smoked :)

Right after I finished these bad boys I ran the temps up to 600°F and seared about 12 deer steaks sorry no pics of the deer steaks since all I could think about was eating at that point. :lol:

Looks great certified106.

swampy

Cert that looks like a decent grill and the chickens look delicious! I have a gas grill that has the original gas from 2 yrs. ago and always use the charcoal kettle cooker.. I need to look into the grill you use!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.