Smokeless coal to 'overnight' my wood fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcedinburgh

Sep 19, 2006
Fife Riviera, Scotland
Hi.

My stove is multi-fuel, and one slightly disappointing thing is that I just can't get an overnight burn - say the last log goes in at 11pm, the red glow seems to be gone by 1am. It's not a huge stove but I expected longer burns from wood.

Someone suggested putting in some smokeless coal just before retiring would be one way of at least prolonging the heat output, and I wanted to run that past folks to see if it's likely to sustain my heat until approx. 0615 when I have to get up.

Pros/cons welcome...

Can you give us some stats on your stove ? Name, model etc. ? This does not sound right at all unless your using an extremely small stove of some type and soft wood.

I load mine at 1 am and it goes easily until 11 am the next day, lots of red hot coals by then and still putting heat in the house by blower.

Are you dampering down ?

Robbie

I know on my Morso I can turn the air almost all the way off and get an 8+ hour burn with a good load of Oak.

jtcedinburgh said:
Hi.

My stove is multi-fuel, and one slightly disappointing thing is that I just can't get an overnight burn - say the last log goes in at 11pm, the red glow seems to be gone by 1am. It's not a huge stove but I expected longer burns from wood.

Someone suggested putting in some smokeless coal just before retiring would be one way of at least prolonging the heat output, and I wanted to run that past folks to see if it's likely to sustain my heat until approx. 0615 when I have to get up.

Pros/cons welcome...

A morso owl should get more than 3 hours. That said it is truely dependant on the wood. Lately I've been burning some pine for evening fires and as large a peice as I can shove into the stove will only last about 2-3 hours. After that there's literally nothing left. Same size peice of elm or oak would still have glowing coals after 8 hours.

I guess coal would work, but coal fires see to like critical mass, and just a few peices here and there probably won't work so well, but heck...try it.

babalu87 said:
I know on my Morso I can turn the air almost all the way off and get an 8+ hour burn with a good load of Oak.

When u say burn, do you mean burn, with secondary in full force and box full of flames. Or do you mean more like a weak burn or just embers?

senorFrog said:
babalu87 said:

When u say burn, do you mean burn, with secondary in full force and box full of flames. Or do you mean more like a weak burn or just embers?

Different woods react differently. The Pine seems to produce flames for about 3/4 of the burn, then goes to coal for a little while then seems to dissapear before your eyes...I think that stuff is all gas. Whereas Oak or elm burns more slowly and a lot longer, but the coals stay there glowing for a long time. in the morning the coals are still there under ashes but still very much alive.

senorFrog said:
babalu87 said:

I mean like my stack temp stays at or around 325 degrees for an overnight burn and I can open the door, add logs and open the damper a bit and have the stack temp hit 450 in a few minutes.

I have had perfect beds of coals and stack temps over 250 after 10 hours with the right wood (big Oak rounds and splits)

jtcedinburgh said:
Hi.

Pros/cons welcome...

Aye get some lump and see if if works, just remember coal needs air from the bottom
not the top.

Thanks. I've got a few questions that I'm going to move to another topic. I might try some smokeless coal and see how I go...

Status
Not open for further replies.