Smokes and smells

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Willybaked

Jan 28, 2019
Washington
Brand new pellet stove smokes and smells while running. I ran it for a few hours a few times and still smokes and smells. I took covers off sides and smoke appears to be coming from the insulation glue, but hard to tell with the fans inside running. Any suggestions?

Brand new pellet stove smokes and smells while running. I ran it for a few hours a few times and still smokes and smells. I took covers off sides and smoke appears to be coming from the insulation glue, but hard to tell with the fans inside running. Any suggestions?
Run hot for about ten hours, that should “burn” it in and get rid of your smells. Now when you say smokes, is it leaking smoke into the room or outside? It also may help to know what make and model stove you have and if you have an outside air kit installed.

Reactions: vinny11950
Run hot for about ten hours, that should “burn” it in and get rid of your smells. Now when you say smokes, is it leaking smoke into the room or outside? It also may help to know what make and model stove you have and if you have an outside air kit installed.
The stove smokes into the room, it is not coming from the pipes, the pipes come out the back of the unit, up four and a half feet and then about a foot back to the wall. It appears to be coming from where the insulation is glued.

Brand new stove leaking smoke into the cabin *not from the exhaust* seems like a warranty call to me. Where did you buy it?

I would call the dealer. I know mine smelled and probably emitted a slight amount of smoke when burning in, I am assuming you can see the smoke easily. If it is just a whisper of smoke I would crank her up and burn her in for 8 hours or so and then evaluate.

Reactions: Ssyko
The stove smokes into the room, it is not coming from the pipes, the pipes come out the back of the unit, up four and a half feet and then about a foot back to the wall. It appears to be coming from where the insulation is glued.
The stove smokes into the room, it is not coming from the pipes, the pipes come out the back of the unit, up four and a half feet and then about a foot back to the wall. It appears to be coming from where the insulation is glued.[/QUOTE

I do have an outside air kit, the stove is a us stove ap5710 ashley mini pellet heater

I would call the dealer. I know mine smelled and probably emitted a slight amount of smoke when burning in, I am assuming you can see the smoke easily. If it is just a whisper of smoke I would crank her up and burn her in for 8 hours or so and then evaluate.

My stove is a us stove ap5710 ashley mini pellet heater, and I do have an outside air kit.

Hey everyone, I am new to hearth, but I am having a similar issue as the one above.

I have an England Summer's heat pellet stove. I just bought it new, but it was manufactured in 2015. I installed it in an unfinished basement with proper exhaust and intake out of the house. we are using lingistics pellets. During a burn of about 3 hours it created a decent amount of smoke that ended in a light haze in the basement with a pretty smokey/plastic like smell. Then I burned on high for 6 hours to try to "cure" it and rid the smell. No more smoke and i checked for leaks and nothing. But still the smell. I never had a pellet stove before so I dont know what I should be smelling, but there is definitely a smell still. The stove Is installed well, all connections taped, and I keep checking for leaks or reasons for the smell, but nothing. It definitely heats up and has a good fire going so its functioning well. Is the smell because it was not used for 4 years? Should there be any smell at all? We have a carbon monoxide detector that does not register or go off so it doesn't seem to be that, I know co wouldn't smell anyway. Is it the pellets? Does it need to burn off longer than 6 hrs on high?

It's a new stove so would there be a reason to open it up and inspect the inside...what would I look for as a culprit for the smell?

the smell is paints and oils in the manufacturing process and is normal. most manufacturers recommend burning on high for a few hours either outside or open windows. if you have no more smoke the smell will dissipate but you may have to wipe down hard surfaces

the smell is paints and oils in the manufacturing process and is normal. most manufacturers recommend burning on high for a few hours either outside or open windows. if you have no more smoke the smell will dissipate but you may have to wipe down hard surfaces

Ok, I will fire it up again on high for another 6 hours.

What do you mean by wipe down hard surfaces? Should I be cleaning the outside of the stove to remove oils?

No you don’t have to clean the stove. I over looked the“ unfinished basement “ i was thinking counter tops and furniture.