Smooth Move

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaterhunter

Dec 14, 2010
Maine
I pulled a smart one: Noticed my enviro stove had shut down(didn't run out of pellets), had no power to the stove, verified the outlet was OK, looked at the fuse on my circuit board(blown), forgot to unplug the stove, attempted to remove the fuse with a flathead screwdriver, sent sparks flying... Pretty good huh? :shut: I am pretty sure that I've destroyed the circuit board since I replaced the fuse(after unplugging this time) and still no power at the circuit board, is their anything else I've left out that I may have destroyed? Feel free to have fun with this one...

Do you have it on a surge suppressor? If so does it have an overload on it that might be tripped
usually a button or small switch that needs resetting.

So sorry to hear that. We all have made mistakes like this. Hang in there and hopefully it's what the above post says.

jhass said:
Do you have it on a surge suppressor? If so does it have an overload on it that might be tripped
usually a button or small switch that needs resetting.
No, I don't. Another smooth move.

Ouch! 1st. check outlet for power. It's possible to have tripped circuit breaker.
It is likely that board got damaged, if the outlet still has power.

If you only touched the 2 pronges that hold the fuse, I would think you didn't do much damage to it.

My Omega board is the DHC4110-D So I would need to go looking for a DHC3000 and trace what could have blown with a poof.

Maybe snap a picture or 2 of the boards backside so I can get a look at things.

Edit:
Ahhh, I have it now, its the Varistor.

The Varistor is made by Littlefuse. Here is the data sheet link: http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Data_Sheets/Littelfuse_MOV_UltraMOV.pdf

Part number V10E130P

Branding(actual number printed on the varistor) P10V130

I found them at Mouser: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=zHiv0nsVGmrGGvLhQ8adhQ==

Usually when this is blown there is also damage to the transformer. Most common cause of failure is not using a surge suppressor or In you case I think you know already! ;-)

Can you solder?

I didn't trip the circuit breaker. I also need to figure out why I'm blowing fuses. I've had issues with the convection blower making noises, gave it some 3 in 1 and WD-40 to hold me over but I believe it's time to replace it. I guess I'll be purchasing a circuit board as well. Is there any way to test the function of the circuit board other than plugging the stove in and seeing if the LED lights up?

If ya did it with the screwdriver your homeowner's insurance is probably good for the circuit board. If it isn't less than the deductible.

Fuses could be from the blower drawing to many amps.

Post some numbers on the blower I'll see about some OEM's that could save you a couple.

Don't be too hard on yourself, Your wallet will feel the brunt of this.

Attachments

• ass_kicker.jpg
    ass_kicker.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 445
We're forecasted to get snow and wind tonight. My timing is impeccable. I'll look and see what the blower and varistor numbers are. I'll also snap a photo of the circuit board and post it. I've done a little soldering, not pretty but functional. I appreciate the help, would love to help the wallet with an OEM blower. Also if I do end up replacing the circuit board is there a place to buy them cheaper than the stove shop. I believe when I replaced the circuit board last year I paid $230. :grrr:

Looked for the numbers that you mentioned on the varistor Jtakeman, I believe I've found it on the circuit board but no numbers on the red coating... I also noticed that I may not have shorted the fuse prongs directly together. It looks like I hit the mounting screw of the board itself to the hot side of the fuse prong. I'm not sure if that is good or bad... You can see it in the picture. The blower info: Jakel INC. J-238-150-15239 115V 60Hz 3.0A TP 3000 RPM 18-06X.

Attachments

• DSC00543 (3).jpg
    DSC00543 (3).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 366
Jakel INC are hard to cross. They don't sell OEM either. I take it its the combustion blower? Varister would be the first to go. But can't guarentee its the only thin that went.

You said you had to replace the board last year, What was wrong woith that and do you still have it?

That is the convection blower. It's a double squirrel cage blower. It's been making noises, started 2 years ago and really noticed it last year but some oil seemed to fix the problem. I do still have the old circuit board. The transformer broke off and I resoldered it back on a couple of times but felt I should get another just to be safe for last winter. I plan on fixing it but I need a more delicate soldering iron and a more delicate technique ;-P The fuses started blowing last year but it was after I replaced the ciruit board. The new board that I bought was different than the old board, specifically 1 fuse on the new board versus 2 fuses on the old board.

If you handy? All that needs to be changed are the bearings in the motor. Probably less than $10 bucks total. But you will need a little puller to get the bearings off the shaft.

I would get the old circuit board fixed to get going with. Then you'll have the new iron to also replace the varistor. Then try the new board. Your pretty sure the old boards going to work, So best to start there. Or spen another $260 plus what the blower migh cost. Probably looking at 500 clams total.

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the new zapped board. But sometimes they don't show problems.

Back up and running with the old board. The soldering went OK suprisingly. Just wondering what component the varistor is on the board. Is the red component to the left of the tranformer in the picture below the varistor? Also, where would I find the bearing kit for my Jackel convection blower. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• DSC00543 (3).jpg
    DSC00543 (3).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 204
Here's a better picture...

Attachments

• DSC00547.jpg
    DSC00547.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 196
Status
Not open for further replies.