Snow clogging Air intake screen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocelot

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
I'm having a problem with the blowing snow clogging, or at least forming a coating over the screen on the air intake outside. This is the first big snow we've had since I installed my Englander 25EP pellet stove. The air intake is well off of the ground, and isn't anywhere near the snow drifts, It's just that the screen being like a vacuum is , I guess drawing in the blowing snow and clogging the screen.

It's the standard Air kit that came with the stove and just has the slanted metal cover over the opening on the outside.

Any suggestions like removing the screen or something? The fire of course gets very lazy when the screen is clogged.

Ray

I'd try to rig up a blocking screen a couple of feet away from the intake. Something that blocks the snow from being blown towards the intake.

I have my intake below ground level on one side, blocked by the house on another, and blocked by several large evergreens on the third, and the wind is rarely ever out of the remaining direction.

I haven't had an issue with snow or blowing snow at all.

Ray, thanks for putting up this post. I just saw it and went to check the burn on my just cleaned stove, and the flames were very lazy. Took the dog for her last walk of the night, and brought my flashlight.....lo & behold, the blowing snow had covered the air intake screen!!

My OAK inlet is, unfortunately, on the NE corner of the house, facing the winds from this storm, and even though it is under the deck and behind some thick shrubs, it still got clogged.

I brushed off the snow, went inside, and the flame is back to normal. Looks like I'll be fabbing-up something to put over it real soon.

We finally got hammered here in CT after dodging a few snow storms that seemed to hit everywhere around us, but not here.

I wondered about the potential of clogging of my pipe, but then I figured, if I keep a fire going thru the storm, ain't NOTHIN gonna form on my hot pipes. If I let the fire go out, and attempt to start it the next day, I'm figuring that odds are, that I still have adequate air flow, and any "build up" after the pipe cooled down last night, would melt off REALLY quick.

-Soupy1957

Well, the problem is solved....Sort of.

The screen has, what I think is a pretty fine mesh and was clogging with snow about every half hour. So, I had the bright idea to enlarge some holes in it last night. Unfortunately, I over estimated the strength of the screen, and ripped it wide open. Now I'll have to either get a new cap or put some sort of new screen over the opening.

The good new is the air flow is great!! I got up this morning and the fire is burning bright, the burn pot has very little build-up, and the glass is cleaner than I've ever seen it after burning all night.

Just goes to show what an increase of burn air can do.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.