Snow gone, few more sick trees to clean out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Snow all but gone here, but the mountains have plenty. Can see 2 avalanche spots with binoculars.
Was down to sweat shirt today 40°+.
4 birch & 2 spruce to fell & cut up then I'll be cutting someone else's trees. Or
maybe Spring will be here & I can start on the wood shed.

Attachments

• 100_4427.jpg
    100_4427.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 531
  • 100_4428.jpg
    100_4428.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 513
I wish the snow was gone here. Spring is getting closer though.

bogydave said:
. Or

Try not to hit nails. They're tough on a chain.

bogydave said:
Snow all but gone here, but the mountains have plenty. Can see 2 avalanche spots with binoculars.
Was down to sweat shirt today 40°+.
4 birch & 2 spruce to fell & cut up then I'll be cutting someone else's trees. Or

I wish the snow was gone here, expecting another foot.

Bogydave great pictures.

Zap

Was kinda nice to pull the splitter to the tree
Split & stack in the trailer.
Tried some vertical mode too with a few big heavy ones. That was nice too, not having to lift the large rounds
on the splitter. Just towed it to the rounds, rolled them on, spit & stacked to the side.
Gotta go pick them up yet but will be much easier on the back.
Granddaughter loves to help, runs the valve. Made it fun. She even gave me a turn on the valve & she put the
4 - 6'' round on the splitter. Says I need to learn how to do it too & we should take turns. :)
The cradle is nice, it centers the round & no need to hold it on the beam.

Attachments

• 100_4435.jpg
    100_4435.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 363
bogydave said:
Tried some vertical mode too with a few big heavy ones. That was nice too, not having to lift the large rounds
on the splitter. Just towed it to the rounds, rolled them on, spit & stacked to the side.
Granddaughter loves to help, runs the valve. Made it fun. She even gave me a turn on the valve & she put the
4 - 6'' round on the splitter. Says I need to learn how to do it too & we should take turns. :)
That's the way most people around here that own hydraulic splitters do it too, pull the splitter to the tree and split it there. I helped an old uncle for half of my life doing just that, he sat on a milk crate smoking a cigar and running the lever up and down while I rolled the rounds into position under the ram.

Sounds like your granddaughter is a good helper!

bogydave said:

That is great Dave. How I wish I still had grandchildren around. My youngest turns 18 in about 6 weeks...

It is amazing too that your snow is gone and you have been having much warmer temperatures than we have. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that it is a sign we could have an early and warm spring. Of course, I can certainly be wrong, but I hope not this time. We have not had a warm spring for several years and we are due.

Whats up with the ladder?

Backwoods Savage said:
bogydave said:

That is great Dave. How I wish I still had grandchildren around. My youngest turns 18 in about 6 weeks...

It is amazing too that your snow is gone and you have been having much warmer temperatures than we have. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that it is a sign we could have an early and warm spring. Of course, I can certainly be wrong, but I hope not this time. We have not had a warm spring for several years and we are due.

I hope you're right Dennis . . . last summer was terrible here in New England . . . wife opened the pool, but only got to swim maybe a week or two (of course it would have helped if I hadn't accidentally drained the pool one day too . . . but that's a whole other story) . . . lots of rain meant not a lot of outside work was getting done. While I love winter I would not be heart-broken to have an early Spring/Summer with warmer temps and good weather.

smokinjay said:

Some of the trees were leaning toward the side street & power lines. Ladder up, tie off & pull toward my yard.
Risk assessment stuff. Only one chance to fell a tree the right way.

bogydave said:
smokinjay said:

Some of the trees were leaning toward the side street & power lines. Ladder up, tie off & pull toward my yard.
Risk assessment stuff. Only one chance to fell a tree the right way.

lol I tie off that way as well......

I wish we had a long enough break without snow to get to cuttin. The snow is finally just about gone and we're gettin another 6-12" tomorrow. I've got two lots that i was asked to clear plus another spot the power company cut a bunch down and was asked to clean up. This snow better skidaddle purty soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.