Snowed out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willworkforwood

Feeling the Heat
Jan 20, 2009
Central Ma
How much snow do you have? (show your snow piles) In this part of Mass, there is over 2' on the ground, with breakable crust half way down. I go in over my knee, and it's like moving through molasses. The pics below show a nice dying Oak triple-header that I have in the works. I dropped the middle and bucked it just after the first snow fell, and those decent sized rounds on the ground don't even show a profile in the snow anymore. I dropped the left side last weekend, just before the latest snow dump came. That would have been abound a 10 minute job, but with this amount of snow it took over an hour - half an hour alone just to shovel out the 2 exit paths. I was planning on bucking the left side today, but beside driving way into the existing snow, there's also a pile on top. In the other pic, the base is off the ground, but the entire rest of the tree is embedded into the snow. When I factor all the snow that needs to be moved for safety prep, bucking is just not happening now. There's no fighting Mother Nature, so it looks like I'll be taking Feb and part of March off this year. Maybe I'll get a few weeks in before the black flies show up to feed on me :mad:

Attachments

• Triple_header_oak.jpg
    Triple_header_oak.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 676
  • Triple_header_left_side.jpg
    Triple_header_left_side.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 686
I had hoped to get everything split, but I now have rounds under feet of snow. Oh, and we're supposed to get at least another 6" Weds....

We've only had a couple inches here and there with most of it evaporating in between, but expecting 1-3 tue. and 6-9 wed. Just brought a cord into the boiler room and split some other.

Not much here and my guess would be 6-8. I'm still running in the woods but one good storm and that will stop.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2580.jpg
    100_2580.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 610
Just a guess on my part . . . haven't actually bothered to check the snow depth maps . . . but I figure we must have 2 - 21/2 feet of snow . . . it's well over my knees . . . when it's this deep it's snowmobile season . . . cutting wood can wait until Spring . . . before ATV Season starts up.

I've got 20+ cord buried. As the sun helps me out, I stack it. Other than that, it can wait until Spring.

Attachments

• 121010 covered heap.jpg
    121010 covered heap.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 560
  • 012310 heap.jpg
    012310 heap.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 564
We have so much snow here in the 'bert that I am surprised that anyone else has any. I shoveled my roof off for the first time ever. In places it was 4 feet deep!! More snow here then the last 20 years "they" say. I think it's time for the slackers in CA, TX and FLA to take a bit of this white sh!t.

Usually around here the snow melts before the next snowfall, but not this year. We've had continuous snow on the ground since Dec. 26. It's just not right.

As much as I'm done with winter, I'm not looking forward to the mud when all this melts

There is at least a foot on the ground everywhere around me. Pile is well over my head at the end of the driveway and beyond waist high on the walkway to the house. Haven't seen the lawn since 12/26. The snow cover is really jamming up my scrounging plans. I am starting to get nervous about my '12-'13 supply being ready to go. I know where all of it is, I just can't get to it.

Cut and hauled about 1/3 cord of white oak Saturday ....70* and no snow :coolhmm:

We only have about 4" of snow on the ground which is rare this time of year. 32 degrees and sunny this past saturday. Hauled 3 truckloads of beech, hickory and ash. Now, the only question will be whether I get it split before it gets buried.

Being snowed in most years it's not fair for me to compare but lets just say 20ft on the way to 30ft plus. Thats why it was a priority to make a wood storage area in our basement and is why our pitch is 12 by 12. I just throw the wood down the shoot in summer and stack about 9 cords in basement. We never need that much but I remember trying to get wood in deep snow so never again.

3.5 feet here. With more on the way and then an ice storm. Wood buried and then some........

I just spent about 4 hours reloading my root celar, (AKA wood shed) should be good till April. I hope. It did take a few PBRs however.

KC

We have had 70 inches so far this winter and are getting about 10 today before the ice comes.

CTwoodburner said:
We have had 70 inches so far this winter and are getting about 10 today before the ice comes.

What a mess...

My wood splitting has come to a COMEPLETE STANDSTILL. Usually, most of the snow will melt after a few days , and I can split most of the winter. Not this year....as K9brain stated...thee has been snow on the ground since Dec 26th. I have NEVER seen so much snow on the ground for so many days of a winter in my life. And I'm NOT liking it....I wanted to have all my splitting done by now.

I'm in the same boat wood-fan-atic. I can't tell which hump is the un-split wood or the splitter. This is insane! It's coming down right now like crazy and the weather for tomorrow is supposed to be I don't know how many hours of ice... I wanted to be c/s/s with this wood and moving on to other bucking projects.

Pretty much the same story here in the Lower Hudson Valley. More snow, sleet, ice, rain, or freezing rain for the next 36 hours or so. Maybe some trees will fall on top of the snow during this storm. I have a couple days off, maybe my scrounging will make a turn for the better.

Hmmm? We got no snow on the ground here, although the forecast says 40% chance of rain Friday, does that count?

Temps have been so mellow this winter I've only burned about half the wood I expected to by this time of the year.

Hi -

The heavy snow is a pain. It prevents me from hauling wood out of the woods now. Instead I'm planning to drop and buck what I can for a few weeks. Once the snow melts some I'll try hard to get it out before 'mud & flood' season.

I sharpened up the saws and I'm ready to go this evening.

All the best,
Mike

iskiatomic said:
I just spent about 4 hours reloading my root celar, (AKA wood shed) should be good till April. I hope. It did take a few PBR however.

KC
PBR.thats a blast from the past. Those were the days,haven't seen a PBR here for a long time but I may have just overlooked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.