so does .6cc really make a diff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
so i have it down to 2 saws 35.00 diff with 3 lbs diff in weight

does .6 more make or break a saw

im looking at a 270 which i like and a 311 which i like also but is 3lbs more heavy but is Bigger in all ways

I don't put a lot of thought into the weight of a saw if your just carrying it around saying how heavy it is you really not doing something right. In the case of the 270 vs 311 is 9cc's and yes it will be a big difference in power. Class of saws are 9-10cc jumps and the power difference is big.

oops first part didnt post

i am using my friends 025 and to go from a 025 to a 270 is .5 or .6 so what i was trying to see if you would actually feel a diff between .45cc to a .50cc thats all if not then a jump to a .59cc would be noticable lol

if i buy new the is 35.00 diff between the 270 and a ms311

Mroverkill said:
oops first part didnt post

i am using my friends 025 and to go from a 025 to a 270 is .5 or .6 so what i was trying to see if you would actually feel a diff between .45cc to a .50cc thats all if not then a jump to a .59cc would be noticable lol

if i buy new the is 35.00 diff between the 270 and a ms311

You will fill 5cc as well just not as much as 10cc.

Mroverkill,
You don't say what you're doing with it. If you're limbing and/or sticking to small stuff (<12"), I would choose to save weight. If you'll be felling and/or bucking bigger stuff, I'd get the power. But, and in full disclosure I'm in the minority on this site, I much prefer working with lighter tools--they allow me to work longer with less strain, which makes it a bit more fun for me.

S

Tough call betwen the 270 and 311. With all else equal I would lean towards more power but it would be nice to have them side by side and see what you think. When I seen several Stihl saws together the thing that stood out to me is the 270 is slender compared to even the 290.

Flip a coin if you have to. Either one will be a good decision.

ANeat said:
Tough call betwen the 270 and 311. With all else equal I would lean towards more power but it would be nice to have them side by side and see what you think. When I seen several Stihl saws together the thing that stood out to me is the 270 is slender compared to even the 290.

Flip a coin if you have to. Either one will be a good decision.

LOL I always grab the 880 for years if they had one!

its to cut logs into firewood cut down trees then cut into firewood im hoping to do 4 -5 cords a year plus help out buddies from time to time

like i said i like the 270 its lighter and more slender it HAS to be stronger and better then the 025 that my friend has let me use so the 270 will be a upgrade from that but at 35.00 more i can get the ms311 which is biggerer and badder in every way but is it TOOOOOO much for my needs and wants

if the 311 was say 100 more then yea its the 270 but like i said its 35 but is it a wise 35.00

If you get the 311 whats your worst concern? The extra weight??? I just took a long look at the comparison chart on Stihls sight. The major differences I see are the weight (2.4 pounds) and the fact that the 311 uses 3/8 pitch chain instead of .325 (of course the power ;) )

I assume theses are used saws?? any extras thrown in that would sway the deal???

After looking at it , saw for saw I would go for the 311, it also has the anti-vibe like the 270. They both recommend 16-20 inch bars but I would feel better with the 311 if I felt the need to hang a 20 inch bar on it.

thats the thing as of now im looking at NEW and if its the 270 it will be a 18" bar (even though they tell me a 20" will work on it ) and if its a 311 it will be a 20"

i will be buying the saw this time next month (just finished paying off the new stove being installed next tuesday so money is tight) UNLESS a clean used one pops up over the next few weeks

Keep an eye on Craigslist for sure. Seen a few interesting adds there in NNJ

How old are you? With each passing year, I favor my lighter saw more...

yea im looking on craiglist everyday and watching it now nothing about a 270 or 311 early 30's lol

20" bar seems a bit large unless you're felling and bucking big stuff. 18" is often better balanced and a better combo for bucking/limbing. By the way, why not look in between at the 290? It's been proven, is priced more competitively, and falls in between on weight and power. I think it's a boat anchor and would sell some stuff lying around to buy a 362, but a lot of people here like it and it seems like it might fit your purposes.

S

well the 270 and 311 is "built better" then the 290 plus everyone says the anti vibe feature and decomp valve is worth the money

I am also with the 311 and 18" bar folks. Yes, the 311 will run a 20", but I find the 18" a better balance and feel for that saw (I have run a buddy's a fair bit). Heck, I prefer the 18" on my 361, just for balance and feel.

I don't know if this helps at all, but I posted around here that I feel a significant difference between my 028 and my dad's 250 (mine would be 47cc and his is 45.4cc) I can't say for sure that his saw is running as perfectly as mine does.

I ran my buddies newer 026 against my older 029 super farm boss (310/311 basically) and my saw definitely had more power. If you want one saw, go for the 311.

Status
Not open for further replies.