So goes oil, so goes.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
While so much unrest in the Middle East esp. the volatile situation in Egypt, the stock market is provided an excuse to speculate an increased cost to oil. Up $3.00 just today. That will rob the frail economy blind. It doesn't take much to recall what happened in 2008 to the price of pellets and the stoves.
If this had to happen, I'm glad it is January when most pellet burners have their season's needs stashed away. There are many months left for this thing to (hopefully) resolve and stabilize. To those who already have a substantial amount of their 2011-12 season's needs, way to go!

I almost have next seasons in the bank! I need about a ton. Just picked up 15 bags of Clean Energy at Lowe's for $3.07/bag to finish this season off. Saving the Hamer&Cubex; for next season. Also have a ton of Stove Chow for next. So a ton should do it for me.

If oil climbs, Maybe this will help stove sales some? Pellets might climb too?

I asked my birdy buddy about pellet prices. He tweated there could be an increase but so far it looks to be only slight. The box stores nicked sales for the large dealers some. There still sitting on a good stash. But he isn't totally sure on what might happen. One thing he did say is Okies may be cheaper this season, As long as the dealers pass on the savings. But only expect this in the spring prebuy time frame. BTU is not my birdy, But my birdy has been incontact with BTU. So its almost straight from the horse. Another thing the birdy tweated is after spring prebuy, All bets are off!

Got 4 ton stacked in the house, with 3 ton outside covered to be moved into the house.
These are over and above what I already got in the house for this heating season. I am
starting to pay off the tonage that I got for next year. think I am glad I made the purchase.

j-takeman said:
I almost have next seasons in the bank! I need about a ton. Just picked up 15 bags of Clean Energy at Lowe's for $3.07/bag to finish this season off. Saving the Hamer&Cubex; for next season. Also have a ton of Stove Chow for next. So a ton should do it for me.

I asked my birdy buddy about pellet prices. He tweated there could be an increase but so far it looks to be only slight. The box stores nicked sales for the large dealers some. There still sitting on a good stash. But he isn't totally sure on what might happen. One thing he did say is Okies may be cheaper this season, As long as the dealers pass on the savings. But only expect this in the spring prebuy time frame. BTU is not my birdy, But my birdy has been incontact with BTU. So its almost straight from the horse. Another thing the birdy tweated is after spring prebuy, All bets are off!

My horsebird said just about the same thing!
Let the chit fly in my face!
I'm used to it ,,,,, but I'm always right!

L.OWES IN CANADA CHARGE 5.99 A BAG.. JUST OPENED A NEW STORE IN MY AREA.. OH YES THEN WE PAY 13 PERCENT TAX, ON TOP OF THE 5.99.

localLEE said:
j-takeman said:

My horsebird said just about the same thing!
Let the chit fly in my face!
I'm used to it ,,,,, but I'm always right!

We all know there going to climb, Its only a matter of time. It takes fuel to move um and yaddayadda. Thats stuff come off easy? ewwwh!

I haven't used my first bag of SIH as of tonite... but if they burn good, I'll be loading a few more tons in my trailer soon...

krooser said:
I haven't used my first bag of SIH as of tonite... but if they burn good, I'll be loading a few more tons in my trailer soon...

Very interested in what you think of them!

rick31797 said:
L.OWES IN CANADA CHARGE 5.99 A BAG.. JUST OPENED A NEW STORE IN MY AREA.. OH YES THEN WE PAY 13 PERCENT TAX, ON TOP OF THE 5.99.

Are those pellets being imported from the US or something? $6/bag is really steep, especially if those pellets are being milled somewhere in Canada.

j-takeman said:
krooser said:

Very interested in what you think of them!

Me too!

The next time I'm there I'll ask for the 'nickle tour' and post some pix... it's quite a ride getting in there, too. About 2 miles off the highway, on a road marked 'load limit 2 tons'....and up AND down a verrrrry steep hill...

I have been telling folks since May 2010 that crude would stay between 60-70 per barrell over the summer and march towards 100 by the end of the year and that they should stock up on pellets early. I wasnt off by much. I watch the oil futures all day (we are a fuel oil company also) To watch the fluctuations and the lame excuses for them, I feel it comes down to this:

If there is a way to have oil jump up 5% one day and drop 5% the next over and over..someone with lots of money could stand to earn a lot more.

Pellet prices should rise, but as they do this time, I expect more production.

Just got back from the local HD and Stove Chow increased $10.00/ton from a week ago.

At $197.00/ton it is still a decent price but it is interesting to watch what happens to the rest of the heating fuel choices when the price of oil rises.

Oil price is no longer the only thing playing a part in pellet pricing.
Some things that are or will in the future:
Paper demand in developing countries. US paper manufacturers experienced the most profitable year (2010) in decades due to increased export demand. In this case think about printers and copiers in china/india that never existed before which will cause competition for chip feedstock.

Several east coast pellet plants going into export production in the next year or so. The plants are being strategicalLEE built near port cities close to heavily timbered areas. These few plants production is equal to all other domestic plant production combined, being exported! This is going to cause competition for raw feedstock.

The EPA recently gave a 3-4 year waiver to biomass power plants on new emissions rules while they further study the effects of biomass power plant emissions on the environment. Biomass is being looked at closely for CHP projects and also CHP projects involving ethanol production.

Cellulosic ethanol should become a reality in the near future. This may or may not be a big factor depending on the feed stock a facility uses. As of now chips and corn fodder are about the most readily available in large volumes.

I have read several articles recently about the trading of pellet futures just like oil,corn,lumber futures are traded now. It is believed this will happen in the next 10 years .

Has anyone checked corn and bean prices in the last 4 months. How many multifuelers out there do you think may jump on the pellet wagon this year increasing pellet demand. It is being said that corn prices could remain very high for at least a year.

To be or not to be , that is the question. PIG, that is!

I would hate to see a "rush" response again by uninformed folks trying so save some money. There were so many folks who got into it in 2008, but were not prepared for what they were getting into. Every fall and mid winter I get adds with a listing of educational opportunities at the local schools. Everything from basket weaving to computer training. But I have yet to see an offering for the proper home maintenance of biomass fuel burning. Would be fantastic to see classes so people would have heads up on what they may be getting into and what options they might have. Safety alone should be enough motive to sponsor such programs. Good chance for stove techs, stove shop owners, pellet producers and fire dept. to step up.

save$ said:
I would hate to see a "rush" response again by uninformed folks trying so save some money. There were so many folks who got into it in 2008, but were not prepared for what they were getting into. Every fall and mid winter I get adds with a listing of educational opportunities at the local schools. Everything from basket weaving to computer training. But I have yet to see an offering for the proper home maintenance of biomass fuel burning. Would be fantastic to see classes so people would have heads up on what they may be getting into and what options they might have. Safety alone should be enough motive to sponsor such programs. Good chance for stove techs, stove shop owners, pellet producers and fire dept. to step up.

Shhh there save$,

That means plenty of slightly used but ash filled stoves for us to scrounge for parts, backup, or to heat the outhouse or chicken coop with.

China won't take too long in stealing our paper making machine technology and start building their own machines. There is lots of wood fiber available from the former Eastern Bloc countries as they are cutting down anything that doesn't move and selling it to Western Europe and the US right now... can China be far behind?

rick31797 said:

Also free health care, or is it free.

Red Devil said:
Got 4 ton stacked in the house, with 3 ton outside covered to be moved into the house.
These are over and above what I already got in the house for this heating season. I am
starting to pay off the tonage that I got for next year. think I am glad I made the purchase.

I got lucky. 3 weeks ago our local Sams started selling off their seasons stock of Penningtons. I just couldn't resist and managed to wander back and forth getting 4 tons. That means I have enough in the basement to burn the rest of this year and most or all of next. $187/ ton and just couldn't turn it down............

Driz said:
Red Devil said:

I got lucky. 3 weeks ago our local Sams started selling off their seasons stock of Penningtons. I just couldn't resist and managed to wander back and forth getting 4 tons. That means I have enough in the basement to burn the rest of this year and most or all of next. $187/ ton and just couldn't turn it down............

Somebody's gonna buy them... might as well be you!

Hello

Yes and also Home Depot and Lowe's in Salem NH just raised their pellet prices from $3.74 per bage to $4.18 per bag!!!

Maybe the end of cheap pellets already!!! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.