So how much could a skid of splits weigh?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swagler85

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2012
NE Ohio
seansellsohio.com
I am wanting to start using the three sided skid storage method. Fill a skid as I split then move it with my tractor. Looked at a few different 3 point attachment today and searching for advise. There is a carryall I can buy that has me thinking it could be useful for much more than just moving skids. It had some holes drilled in the forks so you could attach things like a platform ect... But its only rated to 500 lbs, so Im thinking a skid of fresh oak might be too heavy. They have regular forks as well that are built much heavier, just be a little more limited with use and twice the price. So you have any thoughts?

Well, fresh cut oak runs around 60-some lbs/ft³. That means a device rated at 500lbs could handle ~8 ft³...like 2' x 2' x 2'. 6¼ % of a cord of wood. 16 trips per cord. Yup, wood's heavy. Rick

Well guess the 500 lb rating wouldn't fly then on a 4x4x4 skid then. That would put it around 1000 lb per skid. Might want to go with the heavy duty skid loader.

We always used a set of round bale forks growing up. They were rated for 1800 lbs and would slip right into a pallet. I think they run around $450 for a set of new one. They are actually pretty useful for a variety of things.

HD version of the Carry-All, 1000lb capacity

http://www.tractorsupply.com/countyline-reg-carry-all-category-1-quick-hitch-compatible-2128210

Or something like this?

http://www.agrisupply.com/point-pallet-fork/p/72511/

72511.jpg

If 2x2x2 = 500 pds, that's 8=500 pds
4x4x4=64=8x500=4000 pds
The math is right in what you are saying but Im having a hard time believing that I can get 4000 lbs on 1 skid. I ran numbers on a cord weight calculator and at 1/4 cord (green) white or red oak would run around 1400 lbs. I dont think I can get more than 1/4 cord on a skid with air space and some imperfect splits. I believe I will go with the heavier fork version to still be safe though. I will probably end up using it to move some logs as well so dont want to break a smaller one then have to buy something twice.

Did you ever learn what the 3-point hitch weight limit is for your tractor? Note that there urually is more than one rating for your 3-point (and for your FEL for that matter). The farther your load (mass) is away from the tractor (or FEL pivot point), the less you can carry safely.

A quick starting point for the weight of any cord (4'x4'x8') of wood is 4000 lbs. So if you managed to stack it 4 feet high on a standard 40"x48" pallet, then you'd be a little less than 2000 lbs. Fresh oak will be much more.

Also note that the size of the counterbalance on the front of your tractor and overall weight of your tractor should be a consideration when determining your 3-point limit.

Reactions: swagler85
I stack my wood on 3 sided pallets. I get about 58 cu/ft on a pallet. A little more when I round it. I burn rock/sugar maple. I am guessing it's about 1800lbs a pallet green. I have lifted Pallets of pellets. usually 2000lbs per lift. i do notice that the pallet of pellets are a bit heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.