So ID da tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwright

Oct 6, 2011
Little Rock, AR
All I saw was the trunk. After I split it, realized it isn't Oak. Too wavy to be hickory? photo.JPG

What say you guys?

Limbs were long gone to have a look at the leaves.

I think we will need better pictures of the bark and the end of a split. I am having trouble making out exactly what is shown in the picture = it looks like Red Cedar to me, but I think you'd know if it were. It would smell like a cedar.

Wasn't stringy at all. Is not cedar. No expert but I know that one. I'll see about more pics. 6 lb mail bounced off of another half and when I did get a chunk out of it that's what it was. A chunk. Not a nice split.

Maple??? Did I cut up a big old Birdseye maple?

Prolly gum. Doesn't it have a sweet smell to it? Like a pallet mill? :)

It looks like a gum tree to me

the way the grain is torn speaks of gum

Looks like you have a sweet gum, not bad btu's Tough spliting wood,not enjoyable at all...<>

I cut up my first sweet gum this summer... can't really split hardly any of the bigger rounds by hand. Thats the toughest splitting wood I've encountered so far. I had my cousin try it too... he's a bit stronger than I, and infact holds the record of breaking every single wooden handle axe/maul he has ever had. He didnt get much further than I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.