So I'm going to be investing in 1 maybe 2 new saws soon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkbar2311

Mar 16, 2010
SE Michigan
Soon I will be in the position to purchase 1 maybe 2 new saws. I currently have a dew poulons and an eager beaver saw. I'm looking for a long time investment. I have a several good dealers nearby. 2 stihl dealers, a makita/dolmar dealer, a strictly dolmar dealer, and an echo dealer. I am looking for my primary saw to be able to effectively run a 20-26 inch bar. I like the big makita saw. Looks like a good value. I also know most people say stihl or nothing. Too many choices.

Lots of choices........you'll get tons of answers here......Ford...Chevy.....Dodge

Skip the PS-6400........If I had the money/budget I'd get the Dolmar PS7900, my dealer is getting $649.00 with 20" bar......good deal for a 6.3 HP 79cc saw
My reason being my little 5100s has been a great saw and the price on the 7900 is a good deal.

The Stihl 460 Magnum is running $925.00 with 20' bar around here...76cc 6 HP.
My buddy down the street has a bunch of saws......He's taught me alot and when he comes over to get big wood down he brings: A big Husky with a 32....and a 460 mag with a 24 for everything else.
But it's the knowledge and safety he has behind the saw, not the brand or power...... any professional saw will take down wood.

What ever you get.....don't forget
xtra chains....get some chaps......learn how to sharpen your own chain.......and most important .....get some wedges and learn how to plunge cut and set a good hinge.

WoodButcher

Clarkbar, it is really nice to have that many options. I'd simply go with what you want so long as the dealer is good. If not, go with who is the best dealer because you might be working with him again.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning toward to the dolmar setup largely because I really like the dealer. I probably won't buy till after the first of the year but I'll post pics when I do.

Pick yourself up a Husqy 365 Special. w/ a 18-20" bar. No way your fellin' bigger than that. Not if your lookin' for advice here.
Play safe.

I have the Dolmar 5100 with an 18 bar and a 7900 with a 24 and 20 bar that I run mainly the 20 on now. Best saws I have ever owned. The 5100 to me is the best saw for the money and I used to own Stihls.

Shipper

First of all, invest in 2 saws.

Second of all, get the 2 saws Shipper suggests (or their makita clones) if you have a good dolmar dealer close by.

That was easy.

I have a business contact that reps makita and he will give me the makita(s) of my choice at his cost. He also sharpens my chains for nothing. Seriously leaning that way.

Clarkbar2311 said:
Soon I will be in the position to purchase 1 maybe 2 new saws. I currently have a dew poulons and an eager beaver saw. I'm looking for a long time investment. I have a several good dealers nearby. 2 stihl dealers, a makita/dolmar dealer, a strictly dolmar dealer, and an echo dealer. I am looking for my primary saw to be able to effectively run a 20-26 inch bar. I like the big makita saw. Looks like a good value. I also know most people say stihl or nothing. Too many choices.

Clarkbar2311 I was thinking of something bigger (own the stihl 390 and 310) but decided that they would handle 95% of what I buck up, the one thing I did buy was a 20 inch bar for the 390.

Good luck on your saw.

zap

Clarkbar2311 said:
I have a business contact that reps makita and he will give me the makita(s) of my choice at his cost. He also sharpens my chains for nothing. Seriously leaning that way.

Sold! If 2 saws are do-able get the DCS6401 and DCS510 at cost!. Use 6401 stock or if you want the bigger piston & cylinder, get them online for $130-$180ish (www.baileysonline.com) or at the local dealer. This should be the best deal on new pro-grade saws around.
That's about a perfect combo IMO

One good saw will do it........stihl 361,441,460,660.....Dolmar 6400,7900 husky xp372 sure there's more!

WOODBUTCHER said:
If I had the money/budget I'd get the Dolmar PS7900, my dealer is getting $649.00 with 20" bar......good deal for a 6.3 HP 79cc saw

This NIB saw is worth watching to see where is goes. Below $600 would be an awesome price on a big pro saw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dolmar-PS-7900-...495903601?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item45f6f39b71

I'm told these saws have a nice flat power curve, not peaky like some other pro saws. It has the same power as a 385 XP but is 2 1/2 pounds lighter. It's only 0.7 HP less than the big Stihl MS 660, but 3 pounds lighter and $400 cheaper. It is rated to handle a 32" bar against the 28" the 385 is rated at, and if it's anything like its lil' brother (PS 420) it'll keep pulling that chain with the bar buried. I know a guy locally who uses his to do chainsaw carvings, but he ran a firewood business for over 20 years and he's more man than I am. Still, if it doesn't go too high I may throw a bid at it and try to snag it. God knows what I'd ever need it for, but this saw thing is positively addicting. :coolgrin:

Battenkiller said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
If I had the money/budget I'd get the Dolmar PS7900, my dealer is getting $649.00 with 20" bar......good deal for a 6.3 HP 79cc saw

This NIB saw is worth watching to see where is goes. Below $600 would be an awesome price on a big pro saw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dolmar-PS-7900-...495903601?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item45f6f39b71

I'm told these saws have a nice flat power curve, not peaky like some other pro saws. It has the same power as a 385 XP but is 2 1/2 pounds lighter. It's only 0.7 HP less than the big Stihl MS 660, but 3 pounds lighter and $400 cheaper. It is rated to handle a 32" bar against the 28" the 385 is rated at, and if it's anything like its lil' brother (PS 420) it'll keep pulling that chain with the bar buried. I know a guy locally who uses his to do chainsaw carvings, but he ran a firewood business for over 20 years and he's more man than I am. Still, if it doesn't go too high I may throw a bid at it and try to snag it. God knows what I'd ever need it for, but this saw thing is positively addicting. :coolgrin:

Days of the 7900 at 659.00 is over! Nice saw but here it runs more than a new ms 460.

smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

Days of the 7900 at 659.00 is over! Nice saw but here it runs more than a new ms 460.

Man the price difference is crazy, I was just down at my dealer last week getting wedges and he had a couple 7900's there out the door for $649.00.

WB

There's another thread 'round here about pricing. In my experience, Dolmar dealers are all over the map. As a result, they lose a little of my faith (and all of my money!).

That being said, if you have access to Dolmar or Makita at cost, snatch 'em up!

Good luck,

S

Just got back from the local Dolmar dealer. List price on the PS-7900 is $1089 w/28" bar. They are selling it for $879, but I'm sure they'd move another 5% if I waved the cash. Ain't gonna get close to $649 though.

While I was there I picked up a ES-173 (an electric saw ) for quick inside cutting around the shop. Had it set up with a larger drive sprocket for detail carving. Only $200, but I need to start showing some restraint. :roll:

Battenkiller said:
Just got back from the local Dolmar dealer. List price on the PS-7900 is $1089 w/28" bar. They are selling it for $879, but I'm sure they'd move another 5% if I waved the cash. Ain't gonna get close to $649 though.

While I was there I picked up a ES-173 (an electric saw ) for quick inside cutting around the shop. Had it set up with a larger drive sprocket for detail carving. Only $200, but I need to start showing some restraint. :roll:

Any picks of your carvings?

Battenkiller said:

Unless your going to cut really big wood, you don't need a 28 inch bar with a 7900. I bought mine as it came with a 24 and changed it to a 20 and really like it with wood up to 40 inches. If I told you what I paid for mine, you wouldn't believe me as I finally got one of those once in a life time deals on my 5100 and 7900 for $1000 cash for both. :roll:

Shipper

If your getting it at cost getting the 7901 is a no brainer. Put on the HD filter kit and you will be a very happy camper!

Thanks for the continued info.

smokinjay said:
Any picks of your carvings?

Heh, heh... you don't really want to see an ugly, lop-sided mushroom, do you? Damn thing looks like I was on mushrooms.

I think I'm probably at least a truck load of logs away from anything worth showing. My first bear that actually looks like a bear, I promise I'll be showing it off here.

Status
Not open for further replies.