so much work wasted!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwill

Oct 13, 2010
W. MI
This pile of split wood is one of my parents neighbors. Took him all last summer to collect and all of fall to split. Alot of work for one person.

BTW thats a 4x4 s-10 parked next to the pile. tarp went on in December and has not been off YET!!! The center of that pile will be rotten by the time he gets to it.

Attachments

• rods wood pile.jpg
    rods wood pile.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 906
Yea, I don't think I'd leave my wood "stacked" like that either but it is his to do with as he sees fit.

For the right or wrong to each their own I suppose.

I've had lots of questions from my neighbors about the holz hausen I built this year. Mostly they think I was nuts. Mostly I agree with them.

pen

cwill said:
This pile of split wood is one of my parents neighbors. Took him all last summer to collect and all of fall to split. Alot of work for one person.

BTW thats a 4x4 s-10 parked next to the pile. tarp went on in December and has not been off YET!!! The center of that pile will be rotten by the time he gets to it.
Education is unbelievable.

cwill said:

Might be. Might not. Why not ask if you can inspect the contents of the pile and confirm/deny? Why not pass along your insights as to how-to-cover-wood?
The truth seldom follows our pre-conceived notions.

CTYank said:
cwill said:

Might be. Might not. Why not ask if you can inspect the contents of the pile and confirm/deny? Why not pass along your insights as to how-to-cover-wood?

As much as I would like to explain to him the importance of properly dried wood, he is not the type that would listen. he only burns about 1.5-2 cord a year best i can tell, so the middle may not be rotten but i would bet that it is moldy/punky.

cwill said:
As much as I would like to explain to him the importance of properly dried wood, he is not the type that would listen.
I like it when someone tells me something I don't know, but that's just me. A lot of people seem threatened by it for whatever reason...

I don't think punk will be a problem with the exception of the bottom layer. Covering like that will indeed retard the drying process but it will still dry over time. Had he raised it off the ground it would have been much better though.

Gotta agree with Dennis . . . most definitely not the fastest way to season wood . . . but I often see folks doing this.

I use to do that but by the time you get to the middle its very cold and not seasoned very well....Bad wood and cold temps=more wood.

Maybe this man likes cleaning large amounts of creosote out of his chimney. Who are we to judge?

I split and chuck into a monster pile as I split. So do the firewood processors from what I can tell. I then come back stack my wood in rows but the pros don't do that. They load their trucks right from the heap.

I would not doubt that the outside of that pile will dry very well through the summer, the tarp is a killer though. Then you pick wood from the outside and burn. If you hit wet wood, move to the right. At the rate he is going, that wood pile will have many years of life and he just might be able to get by on the outer layer each year.

I hate stacking. It's the worst part of the whole thing.

CTYank said:
cwill said:

Got to be on real good terms with a neighbor to ask about inspecting his piles. :lol:

Adios Pantalones said:
Agree with Backbacon Savage and Firefritterjake.

By any chance were you hungry when posting that? :lol:

Highbeam said:
I split and chuck into a monster pile as I split. So do the firewood processors from what I can tell. I then come back stack my wood in rows but the pros don't do that. They load their trucks right from the heap. .........
I hate stacking. It's the worst part of the whole thing.
Just the opposite here. I wheelbarrow a load of rounds to the place where the current stacking is being done. Then I dump it right there and stack as it's being split. I split with a maul off the ground, pick them up, and set 'em on the row. Usually I'm able to split and stack a WB load working within a 3-4' area. Not trying to say my way is better - if I had a splitter and a mechanical wood hauler, I would probably work more like the way you do. But one thing about working this way is that stacking is no big deal - just another part of the whole job. And I also agree with the others about the wood not being punky in the center of the fully covered pile. But (for the OP), what about doing a public service. Take the cover off in the middle of the night, fold it neatly, and put a note on it explaining why. If you get arrested, request a jury of Hearth members to insure a speedy acquittal.

That pile looks a whole lot better than one stack I drive by every now and then (north side of 14 East of Richland Center for those in SW WI) that is maybe 10' x10' x4' high and covered with a tarp held tight to the ground. The tarp had been getting frayed to the point that it was letting moisture out so they recently added a brand new tarp that will still leak with the way rain puddles on it.

It would look a whole lot better if the truck was covered with the tarp instead of that magnificent display.

BeGreen said:
CTYank said:
cwill said:

Got to be on real good terms with a neighbor to ask about inspecting his piles. :lol:

True, but the point I was trying to make, was to find facts, not stick to preconceived notions.
'Taint necessarily so, y'know.

Status
Not open for further replies.