So now it's here....too soon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukas060606

Nov 28, 2010
CT Shoreline
I'm out of wood. I have an extremely small pile of cut up lumber, plus five packs of liberty chippys and 26 packs of heat blocks. That's all I have. Chippys burn hot and fast, and heat blocks turn into a smouldering blob of mush. I'm not too happy. The snow hasn't subsided, the dead stuff I scrounged is wet, and I'm thinking Mr. Oil man is on the sidelines with an evil grin. I guess I'm done for this season. I swear on my life I'll get ahead from here on out.

P.S. My homemade storage has taken a back seat to issues with the kids. My stubborn nature has made the controller take a much longer path to completion than necessary. The other way to look at it is that heat is important, but the rug rats come first.

Lukas060606 said:
I'm out of wood. I have an extremely small pile of cut up lumber, plus five packs of liberty chippys and 26 packs of heat blocks. That's all I have. Chippys burn hot and fast, and heat blocks turn into a smouldering blob of mush. I'm not too happy. The snow hasn't subsided, the dead stuff I scrounged is wet, and I'm thinking Mr. Oil man is on the sidelines with an evil grin. I guess I'm done for this season. I swear on my life I'll get ahead from here on out.

P.S. My homemade storage has taken a back seat to issues with the kids. My stubborn nature has made the controller take a much longer path to completion than necessary. The other way to look at it is that heat is important, but the rug rats come first.
Can you get some pallets? I used to heat with pallets exclusively for years, Randy

Any local wood cutters you can call to get a cord?

-Soupy1957

Lukas060606 said:

I hear you. We had some success making the kids understand that their comfort was tied to our collective efforts, but that only goes so far.

I've been working on my controller for years and it's STILL not done ;-)

I moved the last of the pile to the pad in front of the wood barn Saturday. A week or so left. I am usually done by March 1 anyway. Will cut up a few standing ash left in the fence line to make threw then on to next years cutting.

Tarm Sales Guy said:
have you thought about Bio Bricks? Made in CT too! Buying local is always better than buying oil.

Everyone's out of bio bricks. That's what I wanted, but all I could find was these heat bricks. They are not good for my furnace. The block the air that comes up from below. I was thinking about going the coal route; I tried one load, but the furnace is old,and what I guess you would call the baffle around the perimiter of the shaker grate is a bit warped. That means air gets arount the coal bed and I end up with a dead coal bed that won't burn properly. Plus the one coal load actually warped the baffle even more.

Soupy, you're in CT also. Do you know anyone? Everyone I've called said they are out of "seasoned".

Status
Not open for further replies.