So where are these "hydraulic drive hybrids" i keep reading about.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
Whats the deal with these hydraulic drive hybrids. They have been talking about them for decades. THen stories started popping up that ford was bringing it to market in the F150 pickup line by 2008 and it would get like 80 MPG. Then it was 60 MPG in 2010 now the last article i read its 40 MPG but no launch date
It all works with regenerative braking just like electric hybrids use but 2-3 times more efficient (they claim) . Energy captured while braking is converted to hydraulic pressure is built up in a tank which is used to relaunch the truck on acceleration. A great concept to be sure. Even Chrysler is said to be working on a minivan version. So what gives? Anyone have the scoop?

It looks as if UPS was testing this in delivery trucks as early as 2006. Quick search shows the energy is stored in several hydraulic/nitrogen accumulators. Obviously most efficient in a stop-and-go vehicle. But it is encouraging that it can propel heavy trucks.

I've heard about it being used in garbage trucks, probably the only application where it makes any sense whatsoever as they stop and go as much as anything, and already have the hydraulic system.

Hybrid systems in a non commercial vehicle are a gimmick IMHO.

I worked in the farm equipment research and engineering center for International Harvester in the sixties. I fooled with combining constant volume hydraulic with constant pressure hydraulic systems. My particular machines were backhoes. My advice is don't invest any money with anyone selling the hydraulic accumulator idea. A lot has changed in nearly 50 years, but the fundamentals of Newtonian physics are going to limit practical and economical discoveries in this area.

JimboM said:
but the fundamentals of Newtonian physics are going to limit practical and economical discoveries in this area.

As well as the inherent inefficiencies of changing rotational energy (engine) to pressure (hydraulics). That is a built in inefficiency that has yet to be worked out. (kinda the same thing that Jimbo was saying)

I bet UPS is looking at the whole cost of keeping a truck on the road. Not having to pay for brake/rotors would be nice.

Semipro said:
btuser said:
I bet UPS is looking at the whole cost of keeping a truck on the road. Not having to pay for brake/rotors would be nice.

UPS is using hybrid electric trucks in California. In one recent study they found operating costs were on par with fuel-only trucks but overall air emissions were much lower for the hybrids.

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/ups-will-boost-its-hybrid-delivery-fleet-380-trucks-28684.html

Fleets like UPS may be better off using CNG at $1 a gallon. Would be pretty clean as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.