SOAPSTONE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
I've heard many good things about soapstone stoves. My question is whether or not the owner of a cast iron wood burning stove (such as my Jotul Castine) can place a slab of soapstone on top to partially replicate the benefits of an actual soapstone stove.

Probably not. I think you'd be better off having a stone hearth near the stove. It will capture the heat of the cast iron and radiate it outwards in a similar way. I run a soapstone stove and have a stone hearth and find that the hearth stores quite a bit of heat for many hours after the fire has died down just like the soapstone stove does. When I had a cast iron stove it performed the same function.

Everybody deep down wants to be like us and have a soapstone stove :lol: :lol: :) ;-P :p

yah man;;; :coolsmirk:

I've heard mixed opinions about this topic which came up last week. I have a Woodstock Keystone and had them make a soapstone top to sit on the existing top. I can only imagine that by adding more heat retaining mass, that my stove can radiate heat longer (even if only slightly) than it could without the top. Woodstock makes a Classic stove, which is the exact same thing as the Fireview, minus the ceramic glass window. They themselves say this adds to the thermal mass, therefore stretching every BTU further.

I say, go for it.

I doubt you would feel much of a difference from a small slab on the top. It just wouldn't be the same as a 500lb soapstone stove. If you want soapstone sell your Jotul and by a Woodstock or Hearthstone.

I agree, but what percentage of that weight is iron and what is stone?
If my stone top is 1/10th or even 1/20th the total stone mass, that's still an increase in heat retention & thermal mass.

Buy a woodstock, you'll be glad you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.