Soaring Hawk!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
My 24x needed to be 40x, this hawk was up looking for his next meal.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0410.jpg
    100_0410.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 483
Best hunting weather it has had for a while.
Probably hungry.

There was a red-tailed hawk circling low the other day when I was stacking wood. Somewhat unusual to see in the winter. More eagles than hawks this time of year.

I like big optical zoom. Even digital zoom helps to get the picture, but it does degrade the quality somewhat. My camera has 10x optical and 4x digital (40x total). Someday if I upgrade, I think I want one of those 20x optical cameras. I like to take airplane pictures!

exactLEE said:
That may very well be an immature eagle with those markings on its underside.

After looking at the picture zoomed in I think your right.

Zap

I got this one with a 3x zoom...I was too lazy to haul my 10x lens when I took a walk at Brenton State Park (RI), and then came upon this in a tree!

I spent about 10 minutes getting closer and closer....did pretty well considering, but I wish I had the other lens.

Attachments

• hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 371
I think Lee is right on

Our local red tail. I especially like his talons. We have seen them a couple of times eating on the fly which is cool.

Attachments

• DSC_2779.jpg
    DSC_2779.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 260
I love that shot BIRDS of PRAY ARE AWESOME

I was lucky enough to see a hawk that i have yet to id make a kill a few days ago. IT came down off a wooded
ridge... through the trees like a freight train..... i mean smokin out of the woods right at the bird feeder. the doves flushed but one made the mistake of to much vertical rise and ....POOOFFF.....feathers justa floating in the air.....lol looked like someone took 7 shot to feather pillow ..lol

raven said:
I love that shot BIRDS of PRAY ARE AWESOME

Thanks. About a year ago I finally got around to "putting up" a cedar tree that had blown over elsewhere on our property. I put it up specifically for the hawks but other birds use it more often. But it has allowed some decent photos like the avitar and this one just after he left my perch.

Still haven't been lucky enough to see a hawk take down another bird but have had fun watching them try. Maybe one day.

skyline said:
Our local red tail. I especially like his talons. We have seen them a couple of times eating on the fly which is cool.

Great picture.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.