Soda Blasting Charred Wood or what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fsappo

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2008
Central NY
We are working with some contractors doing a new chimney where an old chimney had caught fire thru a chase and up thru the attic. No photos. Its not my house and my installer has the camera with him.

My tech reported that there was some charred wood framing. The contractors on site suggested soda blasting. Someone else said there was some kind of paint that can seal the charred area. My concern is that charred wood is that much closer to igniting if there was ever a problem in that attic again.

My instructions to the contractor were to simply replace any wood that showed signs of charring.

Any suggestions?

Not an expert in chimney installs by any stretch of the imagination . . . but I do know that charred wood can light up much easier than uncharred wood. I think you made the right call to replace the wood and not take the cheap and easy route out . . . at least you can rest well at night.

I agree replace charred wood as its lost significant strcutural strength. For wood and surfaces that are not charred, generally the contractors spray it with a commercial equivalent of Binz. It seals in the smoke smell and is about the only way that you can get rid of the smell beyond replcing everything.

Not 100% sure but believe code would require replacement of any damaged structural components. Besides it would just be good practice and save any type of civil suit later on.

Good call definitely Frank. Not just charred wood is easier to ignite either. The temperature of combustion of wood continualy lowers, the longer the wood is exsposed to higher than ambient temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.