Softwood burner - Oslo vs. Pacific Energy D series

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CO2Neutral

Mar 12, 2009
PEI Canada
Hi folks,

We finally got our tax return and it is officially wood stove hunting/upgrade season. We are upgrading our Century Heating Fw2700029 which tried its best but unfortunately is best suited for the occasional burn in someone's cottage. We burn 24/7, we burn softwood (spruce, birch, poplar) (2 story, 1600 sq feet -- nicely insulated).

I'm narrowed down to a Pacific Energy D series (probably a spectrum classic, maybe the alderlea T5). I'm really interested in what experience people have in burning softwood in their Oslo's? Or should I expect the most realistic burn time from the PE's (based on popular opinion/testing on this forum). Is there a difference?

Thanks for your time -- I know these types of questions can be quite anecdotaly charged but I do appreciate the responses.

- Mark

The PE spectrum firebox is well known for long burn times. The PE is a welded steel firebox too which I find more durable than gaskets and seals in a cast iron or stone stove. That particular PE has a nifty air control that actually manages to control both the primary and secondary air for a lower "low" setting than all the others. I am not impressed with the fancy automatic air control of the next size larger PE summit. Burn time is extremely meaningful with a 24/7 burner so I am glad that you are considering it as an important criteria.

Be sure and see a T5 in person to be sure you like the fit of the cast iron panels. I thought that they would be tighter and more precise.

we sell both the Pacific Energy and Jotuls, and I find the PE to be an easier stove to light and manage. I have a summit at my house, and about 1/3 of my firwood pile is softwood (pine, poplar) and she handles it all just fine. Previously had a Jotul F600 Firelight, and the fixed secondary air ratio did not treat the long burns w/ softwood as well as the adjustable secondary air ratio on the PE. Softwood tends to blaze pretty hot on its own, and you do not need all that secondary air when the fire is going gangbusters already

Excellent, thanks guys. I didn't realize the secondary air was more balanced (controlled) -- I read that on the forum but until both of you explained it it was lost on me.

Regards, Mark

glad to be of service!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.