Softwood Pellet Saftey Concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMac

Oct 18, 2010
Mid Michigan
I like that they mention there pellet brand in the article and how they are one of the best burning.

My father in law who is a local fire dept Chief (professional) and pellet burner cautioned me against soft wood pellets citing similar concerns.
After burning several tons of soft woods I cleaned my venting and discovered no issues. Just nice dry powdery fly ash.
He has since started burning a soft/hard wood blend pellet, with no issues.

I would be more worried about the iffy pellet brands that add plastic-parifin and some of the contruction waste that has paint or stain in it.

Only softwood pellet safety concerns I have is...if I run into one more person
that tells me I am wasting my $$ on softwood pellets, I am gonna rip off his arm
and beat him half to death with it. ;-)

tinkabranc said:
that tells me I am wasting my $$ on softwood pellets, I am gonna rip off his arm

tink, I got someone you need to meet. Hehe! Just can't get this fella to stock a softwood pellet. I think I might enjoy getting an eye full of that! hehehehe! ;-)

j-takeman said:
tinkabranc said:

tink, I got someone you need to meet. Hehe! Just can't get this fella to stock a softwood pellet. I think I might enjoy getting an eye full of that! hehehehe! ;-)

He may have to get in line...there are a couple of salesmen ahead of him at the moment ;-P
some people are just so thickheaded...grrr

BTU said:
j-takeman said:
tinkabranc said:

Yeah, me too and I know who are are referring too.....LOL

Thought you catch this one! Lucky for me there is more than 1 place local. Or I might have to pay tink!

It must be true...it's on the internet...

All I use is softwood made out of pine that the bark beetle killed. Work fine for me and are $200.00 ton

Status
Not open for further replies.