some advice please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
i have a huge fireplace it is 7 inches off the ground (in my basement) 48 inches wides by 29 and 24-27 inches deep i want to chisel out the brick bottom to bring it down even with my basement floor in cwhich i could put a englander 30 or some kind of woodstove in it ... putting the stove outside of the fireplace is out .. it has to go in the existing fireplace.. question can i do this (chiseling) without damaging anything?? I dont know whats under the brick I would assume its more brick then my concrete slab

You could try a masonry drill bit in an inconspicuous spot and watch the color of dust change as you go deeper. Or just use a chisel after cutting the mortar with a saw. You may save the brick to re use if that's important for looks. Or a few beers and a biggg sledge hammer. :)

Can you throw up a picture? Anything is possible, and there may be some (relatively) easy ways to tak out any non-structural parts without damaging angthing else, and keep it looking nice.

Get a large cold chisel and a 2lb sledge.

Harley said:
Can you throw up a picture? Anything is possible, and there may be some (relatively) easy ways to tak out any non-structural parts without damaging angthing else, and keep it looking nice.

i will 2morrow my camera won't even light up had to put it on a charger
ps waiting for him to get back to me but looks very good for sometime next week
when i get a definite will pm you number

Status
Not open for further replies.