Some guidance? HP vs. weight- best saws over 60cc, thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
OK, the 346 rocks, but it has it's limitations. The 455 is solid, but a bit heavy and slow. So, I'm looking for something with some serious poop, but not heavier than the 455. It has to be able to run all day, or at least be designed/built for it. 24" bar capability would be a plus. I have NO brand loyalty, so recommend what you will. I really want a saw that I can wield for a couple of hours, that is manageable enough to plunge-cut without bogging. Oh yeah, it needs a beer holder. Any suggestions? Thanks, JB

The 71 compliments the 50 cc saw nicely. There are very few occasions when I wish I had something bigger.

I always wish I had more power.....but the saws I would be looking at stihl 441/460 husky 372 dolmar 7900.

HittinSteel said:
Locate a 372XP (not X Torq). Buy 372XP. End of story.

That story will never be over that 70-80 cc class makes some HOT SAWS!

You're right Jay.....was trying to make it easy for him since he likes his 346XP.

Any of those saws you mentioned will do the job. Probably the best one on paper (power/weight) is the 7900.

HittinSteel said:
You're right Jay.....was trying to make it easy for him since he likes his 346XP.

Any of those saws you mentioned will do the job. Probably the best one on paper (power/weight) is the 7900.

Yep if I already had a 346, I would want another husky will the bars interchange?

I don't think they will (small mount and large mount).

I'm mismatched now with a stihl 260 and a husky 372.......wish I could trade my 260 for a 346

HittinSteel said:
I don't think they will (small mount and large mount).

I'm mismatched now with a stihl 260 and a husky 372.......wish I could trade my 260 for a 346

yea thats what I hate about the 880

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:

Yep if I already had a 346, I would want another husky will the bars interchange?

I think it is somewhere around 60cc and up stock. I am changing my little one so the 20" bars are interchangeable.

Beetle-Kill said:
OK, the 346 rocks, but it has it's limitations. The 455 is solid, but a bit heavy and slow.

So, I'm looking for something with some serious poop, but not heavier than the 455.

You're probably going to be pooped after running it all day. It weighs much less than a 455... check

It has to be able to run all day, or at least be designed/built for it.

check on both

24" bar capability would be a plus.

check many times over

I have NO brand loyalty, so recommend what you will. I really want a saw that I can wield for a couple of hours, that is manageable enough to plunge-cut without bogging. Oh yeah, it needs a beer holder. Any suggestions? Thanks, JB

You shouldn't need to plunge cut.

P4010026.jpg

I like my 570 and I don't know if I would exchange it for a 372 other than an even swap of a known good saw but if you are looking for power to weight ratio in a firewood saw, the 372xp would definitely be at the top of my list. I haven't tried a 575xp, but it is rated at the same 5.4 hp as the 372xp although still a pound and a half heavier like the 570 is. The weight difference is noticeable but the 57x platform handles well and I can buck large rounds with it just as well as my father's 372xp. The 372xp is being discontinued so you need to start looking if that is where your interest lies.
I'd like to run a 346xp just to see how it compares to my current limbing saw, my old 51.

It is now the 372 X torq....... a stratified heavier version of the original. Despite Husqvarna attemps ( 57x series) they cannot let the 372 die. The 57x's are very nice saws, they just weigh more.

There are still new 372's out there, but they are no longer available from the factory.

Was it something I said? (or you pretended that said...)
My choice would be Dolmar 7900 (or HD makita 6401 + big bore kit= 7900 for around ~$400-500), followed by a good used 372xp, followed by an MS-440(1)/460. Not sure if any of these are as light as a 455, but they aren't far off & you won't have to lift them for nearly as long.
Both the 346 & 455 are small-mount and everything bigger than a 359XP have large bar-mount btw.

MWC, I'm blaming you. Good calls on all counts so far. I'm going to generate a short list, and be checking the CL adds. And yeah, I like plunge cutting, 'cause I can cut up 90%+ of the trailer load while on the trailer. Just roll off the rounds as I go. I'm going to bed, spent 9.5 hours in a steel box no bigger than my BKK grinding mill scale off a plate. And I made it pretty. And the damn box does nothing more than hold-... firewood!!!. Rich people, go figure. :zip:

+1 on the "My choice would be Dolmar 7900 (or HD makita 6401 + big bore kit= 7900 for around ~$400-500),"

zzr7ky said:
+1 on the "My choice would be Dolmar 7900 (or HD makita 6401 + big bore kit= 7900 for around ~$400-500),"

Its a good option but my math 600.00 and hd filter another 70 bucks plus shipping. much different than the low 400.00

HittinSteel said:
I think.........

HD = Home Depot retired rental unit

Most new saws in the 70+ cc range the price is very close.

A 346XP and Dolmar 7900 is the best 2 saw plan there is.

I paid $181 for my HD Makita, 180 for the OEM P&C and 79 for the HD filter.

wendell said:
A 346XP and Dolmar 7900 is the best 2 saw plan there is.

I paid $181 for my HD Makita, 180 for the OEM P&C and 79 for the HD filter.

460 and 880! The little 50cc can hang out on the porch! lol

880? The OP said he wanted to stay around the same weight as his 455, as in 1 455, not 3 of them. ;-)

wendell said:
880? The OP said he wanted to stay around the same weight as his 455, as in 1 455, not 3 of them. ;-)

Just giving you a hard time there is no best 2 saw set-up there is just tree's and what works best that day.

Hey Jay, i'm leaning towards the 372XP. Same basic weight as the 455, but 2 more HP. If I come across a 7900, I'll definitly check it out. I see 441's on CL around here for $600 or so quite often. I may have to wait until after the first, then check for deals since everyone here will be skiing or boarding, not cutting.

Beetle-Kill said:
Hey Jay, i'm leaning towards the 372XP. Same basic weight as the 455, but 2 more HP. If I come across a 7900, I'll definitly check it out. I see 441's on CL around here for $600 or so quite often. I may have to wait until after the first, then check for deals since everyone here will be skiing or boarding, not cutting.

You cant go wrong with any of them stay north of 70cc's

Status
Not open for further replies.