Some Hemlock Milled

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We have been milling lately and today we went back in and milled one eight foot hemlock log, we thought the grain was very nice so my better half would like a coffee table from this.

We still have one eight foot log down and ready to go, all the boards are 1.25 thick, attached are some pictures fom the start plus the wagon loaded up and heading back home.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3645.jpg
    100_3645.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 378
  • 100_3646.jpg
    100_3646.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 396
  • 100_3647.jpg
    100_3647.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 388
  • 100_3648.jpg
    100_3648.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 381
  • 100_3649.jpg
    100_3649.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 378
  • 100_3650.jpg
    100_3650.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 363
  • 100_3652.jpg
    100_3652.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 100_3653.jpg
    100_3653.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 394
PapaDave said:
Again?
Droolin' over here. Very nice , zap.
Where do you sticker and dry this stuff? I hope the weather was nice and cool for you to do this.

It's stickered in the woods with good wind and some sun, I'm thinking I might move it all in another spot that gets full wind with more sun for the winter.

zap

Just curious, 'cause I've had some white pine, spruce, and red pine stickered in the yard for a couple of years.
I need to put up a lean-to on the back of a shed to get it out of the weather.
You probably know this, but put some weight on top. I've seen guys take ratchet straps and put 'em over the stacks to help with bowing, twisting, etc.
I just put stickers on top, then put some pretty hefty slabs on top of those. Worked well.

cool looking grain zap. you gonna use for something special?

maxed_out said:
cool looking grain zap. you gonna use for something special?

The first thing would be the coffee table my wife wants then whatever we want after that, we do want to build a shed plus a small cabin so that is what the bulk of the wood will be for.

zap

Keep at it Zap. You won't run out of trees on that place.

That's beautiful Zap. How long since it blew down?

SolarAndWood said:
That's beautiful Zap. How long since it blew down?

This is just a guess, two years. We still have the main trunk that needs to be felledwhich should give us some nice wood.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2890.jpg
    100_2890.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 211
zapny said:
This is just a guess, two years.

I have a lot of logs laying around the woods, time to get a mill.

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
This is just a guess, two years.

I have a lot of logs laying around the woods, time to get a mill.

We have pine down from when we bought the land in 2007, I'm working my way towards them so it will be interesting what type of shape there in. Solar are you going the alaskan chainsaw mill or bring a person in with a woodmizer?

zap

zapny said:
or bring a person in with a woodmizer?

If I have the opportunity to buy a tool for what I would pay someone else to do the work for me, I always buy the tool. I have seen a couple bandsaws go by relatively cheap lately. I will skid all the logs back to the shed anyway, so it doesn't need to be portable. The logger also leaves whatever I want by the shed. Once I'm done siding the house, milling is next on the agenda.

Again, Really cool Zap. How long does it take to mill one of those boards?

certified106 said:

I never really time it but next time we are milling we will do that,it's like watching paint dry. It's nice to mill it from your own property and can't wait for it to go up on whatever we build depending on the taxes.

I bet smokin would have a good idea on how long it takes per board, my guess would be 7-10 minutes.

zap

zapny said:
my guess would be 7-10 minutes.

is that for a 8' 24" diameter softwood log?

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
my guess would be 7-10 minutes.

is that for a 8' 24" diameter softwood log?

The eight foot & softwood your correct, I'm not sure what the diameter was and the 7-10 is just a guess. It's not a fast process plus I'm stopping more during a run per some conversations with smokin .

zap

certified106 said:

certified106, talking with the wife this morning she thought it was more like 4-5 minutes on one board and she is usually right. After asking Smokin about how often to stop during a run I started stopping twice on the eight foot logs and let the saw idle plus cool down some.

zap

Nice chains......Nothing you can do for milling is any better than great chains! ;-)

smokinjay said:
Nice chains......Nothing you can do for milling is any better than great chains! ;-)

I put the calipers to the chains when I sharpened them last, I think it made a difference and was just wondering should I do it everytime.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

I put the calipers to the chains when I sharpened them last, I think it made a difference and was just wondering should I do it everytime.

zap

This is an easy one Yes check every-time until you know them like the back of your hand! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.