Some Milled Hemlock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Had a topped off Hemlock that I dropped then we milled most of one log which is 8' 6" in length. Milled the boards 1.25 inches thick with the widest 20 inches, we milled 6 boards today but could only bring out four.

I'm not sure the correct term but the board would crack on the left side on all the boards (stress fracture) when we finished milling that board. Used Wesson Veggie Oil in the aux. oiler and Wesson Canola Oil in the 660 with the 36 inch bar.

On the way out I decided to take a dip in the brook in one of the deeper holes, felt great.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3766.jpg
    100_3766.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 321
  • 100_3768.jpg
    100_3768.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 100_3769.jpg
    100_3769.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 321
  • 100_3770.jpg
    100_3770.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 300
  • 100_3772.jpg
    100_3772.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 336
  • 100_3774.jpg
    100_3774.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 313
  • 100_3778.jpg
    100_3778.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 307
  • 100_3780.jpg
    100_3780.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 308
loon said:
looking good man ;-)

loon

We would like about 60 more boards before the snow hits. We are only slabbing but it is getting easier each time out. When we took a break our little friend came by so we gave him half a granola bar.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3771.jpg
    100_3771.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 279
XactLEE said:
Shake.
Word used to describe the crack your talking about.

Thanks XactLEE, we still should get some nice boards once we trim them up.

zap

XactLEE said:
Shake.

This is one of the boards that split on the left side, the board is flipped over.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3779.jpg
    100_3779.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 272
Still get some out of that one! ;-)

zapny said:
XactLEE said:
Shake.

Thanks XactLEE, we still should get some nice boards once we trim them up.

zap
Shake not bud lol.....

smokinjay said:

Did you and MMaul do some cutting today?

zap

Zap, it is so cool to watch you turn that tree into lumber! Wish I lived close enough to come help for awhile and learn how to do that.

Zap, enjoy those dips in the brook because that water will get pretty cold real soon. Good for you too getting the lumber and a nice job of stacking.

Hemlock is notorious for ring shake like that. I had to cut around a bunch of it for my recent siding project. The good thing is that you don't necessarily lose too much in terms of board feet because the shake is usually quite vertical. I used the scrap for stickers or kindling, nothing wasted.

certified106 said:
Zap, it is so cool to watch you turn that tree into lumber! Wish I lived close enough to come help for awhile and learn how to do that.

Plenty of trees down, grab a mill and get milling. I think the wife likes it even more, we happen to be working in the area we will build the small cabin so we talked about it when the saw was down.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, enjoy those dips in the brook because that water will get pretty cold real soon. Good for you too getting the lumber and a nice job of stacking.

It was a first for me Sav, the wife has been in the brook all summer. Making the tree into your own lumber gives you a good feeling.(sense of accomplishment)

zap

DiscoInferno said:
Hemlock is notorious for ring shake like that. I had to cut around a bunch of it for my recent siding project. The good thing is that you don't necessarily lose too much in terms of board feet because the shake is usually quite vertical. I used the scrap for stickers or kindling, nothing wasted.

The hemlock sure has a nice smell to it. Does the hemlock give off that same smell when you burn it?

zap

smokinjay said:

Smokin, the wife keeps talking about how the wide white pine planks would be nice for the flooring in our house, you have me in deep chit with this mill. :mad:

zap

zapny said:
DiscoInferno said:

The hemlock sure has a nice smell to it. Does the hemlock give off that same smell when you burn it?

zap

I guess I have a slightly less favorable opinion of the smell of the wood itself. (I think it smells a bit like crap.) But the pitch pockets in the bark do smell nice and piney. The scraps I burned outside didn't seem to give off a particularly distinctive smell.

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

It was a first for me Sav, the wife has been in the brook all summer. Making the tree into your own lumber gives you a good feeling.(sense of accomplishment)

zap

You are so right there Zap. When someone can make something like that from their own place and with their own hands, it gets really good. It is sort of an extension of growing your own food and building your house or the things in the house with it all, or most of it, coming from your own place. That to me is cooperating with Mother Nature. Now I think I'll go out and pick some more peaches and apples.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Smokin, the wife keeps talking about how the wide white pine planks would be nice for the flooring in our house, you have me in deep chit with this mill. :mad:

zap

I THINK THAT MILL WILL GO DOWN As LEGEND! nOTHING BETTER THAN A CSM HOUSE..............................

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

I THINK THAT MILL WILL GO DOWN As LEGEND! nOTHING BETTER THAN A CSM HOUSE..............................

Mke that a CSM Cabin.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Mke that a CSM Cabin.

zap

Nice mantel to put that saw on!

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Make that a CSM Cabin.

zap

We will have one made of Pine, 3-4 inches thick with room for adding another saw if needed.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1314502362 said:

zap

Make that a CSM Cabin.

zap

We will have one made of Pine, 3-4 inches thick with room for adding another saw if needed.

zap

As I would tell MMAUL Made it 6 thick and 12 wide, That makes a lastin impression! We are mini milling a mantel as-well today I tkink its 4-1/2 by 10. Black walnut.

Status
Not open for further replies.