Some pics of the stacks and land clearing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
I took these last week....before I stacked a bit more today. This is all the wood on our upper lot in VT. We're not on a ton of land; about an acre, but it helps to have another area to stack wood. I keep the "to be burned this season" stuff down in the lower part of the yard. Right now, that's about 3 cords.

All this stuff is backyard wood. The smaller stuff we cut down last year clearing the upper part of the property. It makes great firepit wood and kindling. A lot of the trees were 4-5" in diameter or under. There's a good amount of pine in there. My neighbor had some friends down to cut down some pine and offered me the wood. Free wood that's litterally next door...no way I was passing that up. The larger rounds I think are Beach? It was standing dead. I think some may be punky, but again, it was right next door. There was also good sized yellow birch that she gave us.

And a few random shots of the clearning we're doing. I'm cutting down some of the smaller pines and other smaller trees. I'm slowly getting to some of the pines as my confidence goes up. We're not clear cutting; just opening things up a bit. The property hadn't been taken care of for a number of years before we bought it.

Attachments

• IMG_4005.jpg
    IMG_4005.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_4006.jpg
    IMG_4006.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_4008.jpg
    IMG_4008.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_4009.jpg
    IMG_4009.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_4010.jpg
    IMG_4010.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 478
skier76; the clearing and cleaning looks good. We need a firepit or fireplace by the house, I guess that is next.

zap

Are you building a house on the lot skier? I love vermont, hope to get up there again this winter.

Looks like a nice place Skier. Looks like fun work too.

Thanks guys!

The firepit is pretty simple; just something we bought from Cabella's and put out on a stone patio that the previous owner's built. This year, I wired up a set of rock speakers so we can stream tunes from the iPad (Pandora) when we're out by the firepit at night...having some after dinner drinks. It's awesome.

weatherguy,
We have an A-Frame on the lower part of the yard. It's about 800-1000 sq/ft. We initially bought this as a ski house, but we enjoy being out hear so much, we're up year round. We were very fortunate regarding Irene. We didn't have any damage at all; just a small washout near the road.

Looking good.
Your leaves are still green ??

bogydave said:
Looking good.
Your leaves are still green ??

Just slightly changing last weekend, this weekend, a lot more yellows out there. I think it'll really change by next week and the week after. It'll be interesting to see how the colors are this year after all the rain we've had this later summer/early fall.

We haven't had a frost here yet, (my garden plants are still green) but several areas around use have. The leaves are turning & falling here anyway. That time of the year.

Here's some irony Dave.... Last weekend, there was a frost and freeze warning in VT. We did all of our cutting/moving wood in long pants and sweatshirts. Saturday night, we light a fire in the stove. Today, I cut and moved wood in a t-shirt and shorts (with my gear on...chaps, ear muffs and glasses on of course) and we've had the window A/C going since last night. It's not very warm; it's the darn humidity. My safety glasses were fogging up today.

Skier, looks like a nice piece. I am just waiting for the snow to fly!

KC

Nice place you got there. Gotta love a good bonfire in the fall. We sat outside with some good friends, enjoying one last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.