Some prayers please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Some old buildings on our main street just burnt (are still burning). They house several local businesses and some apartments. The Mayor's (Like the literall mayor of my town) Barbershop, his sister's salon (where my wife goes, BTW) and an appliance store are the big ones that come to mind.

But the saddest loss is of an infant who has yet to be identified. Please send prayers to the family and community for the loss of such an innocent victim.

You got it Danno...sending out some good thoughts...and prayers...So sad... :shut:

When I was a young firefighter I loved to hear the pager go off . . . the adrenalin-rush, the thrill of putting my skills to the test.

The older I get the more I hate the sound of those tones . . . it almost always means someone is losing something important to them -- a home, a livelihood or a life.

Danno77 said:
Some old buildings on our main street just burnt (are still burning). They house several local businesses and some apartments. The Mayor's (Like the literall mayor of my town) Barbershop, his sister's salon (where my wife goes, BTW) and an appliance store are the big ones that come to mind.

But the saddest loss is of an infant who has yet to be identified. Please send prayers to the family and community for the loss of such an innocent victim.

Will do Danno.

zap

Thank you all. Hard to do it given what so many people lost, but trying to be thankful that it wasn't worse. 18 people were rescued, and some weren't home to be in harm's way (a couple of my students) so those should be seen as a blessing.

God bless the VFF's who responded. Several of them good friends of mine. Haven't reached my neighbor/friend yet, to see how he's doing. He was a first responder on the scene of an accident that took an entire family from us a few years ago and I know how that impacted him. I'm not sure which FFs brought the 4mo old out, yet. Words cannot describe.

Danno77 said:
Thank you all. Hard to do it given what so many people lost, but trying to be thankful that it wasn't worse. 18 people were rescued, and some weren't home to be in harm's way (a couple of my students) so those should be seen as a blessing.

God bless the VFF's who responded. Several of them good friends of mine. Haven't reached my neighbor/friend yet, to see how he's doing. He was a first responder on the scene of an accident that took an entire family from us a few years ago and I know how that impacted him. I'm not sure which FFs brought the 4mo old out, yet. Words cannot describe.

All fire fatalities are bad . . . some are worse than others. When we had a fire that killed three kids (autistic triplets that were something like 4 or 5 years old) and the former fire chief/current sheriff died from a heart attack while at the water hole . . . it was the one and only time I thought about stopping . . . I'll never forget that night . . . nor the compassion of the town residents and area firefighters who came out the next day on their day off to help us get our equipment back in order. In times of great tragedy the human race often shows its spirit the best.

Danno77 said:

Dear God... Looking at the picture of my three month old on the desktop right now I'm choked up to say the least-I just can't even imagine. Prayers sent.

Danno77 said:

You got it what a sad day for those involved they need all the prayers they can get.

Thoughts & mega super snuffles, Danno.

firefighterjake said:
When I was a young firefighter I loved to hear the pager go off . . . the adrenalin-rush, the thrill of putting my skills to the test.

The older I get the more I hate the sound of those tones . . . it almost always means someone is losing something important to them -- a home, a livelihood or a life.

A friend once commented the firefighters look sad all the time... on reflection, how could you not?

Our heartfelt sympathy and prayers to those involved.

There was a fire here several years ago, at night, in a trailer. Kids in two bedrooms, one parent went in one bedroom to grab kids, one in the other. Both met outside, each thought the other had the baby. Had a friend that was an emergency responder, and I know how hard that was on the entire ER community.
Another one where a toddler turned on stove controls, and the flames engulfed the kitchen so quickly that the father was driven back at the doorway.

Situations like these just take your breath away. So many if-only's, so many regrets. Hard to lose a home or business to fire. But for the family who lost their child--heart-wrenching. For the emergency responders who try to save everyone, the loss of a child is a whole other magnitude.

snowleopard said:
There was a fire here several years ago, at night, in a trailer. Kids in two bedrooms, one parent went in one bedroom to grab kids, one in the other. Both met outside, each thought the other had the baby. Had a friend that was an emergency responder, and I know how hard that was on the entire ER community.
Another one where a toddler turned on stove controls, and the flames engulfed the kitchen so quickly that the father was driven back at the doorway. Situations like these just take your breath away. So many if-only's, so many regrets. Hard to lose a home or business to fire. But for the family who lost their child--heart-wrenching. For the emergency responders who try to save everyone, the loss of a child is a whole other magnitude.

This reminded me of that terrible fire again . . . I was a wreck for several days . . . it wasn't until two or three days later that I learned my wife who was going to school be a nurse had beat me to the fire since she was on her way home and was the second or third person on the fire ground. She later told me that both her and a neighbor saw the mother yelling for help since her three kids were still inside and so she and the neighbor attempted to go inside and rescue the kids . . . she said the flames were so intense that they couldn't get within 25 feet of the home.

So many parents think that they would do whatever they could to rescue a child trapped in a fire . . . but so many do not realize the power of fire -- the speed at which it burns, the choking smoke that can disorient you in your all too familiar home and render you unconscious in minutes, not to mention the intense heat.

Do me and every other firefighter here on the board a favor today . . . check your smoke detectors and CO detectors . . . it's 2 minutes that could potentially save you and your loved one's life . . .

Incidentally . . . I hate this thread . . . I'm sitting here tearing up since this story has brought back so many fresh memmories of that night . . . prayers and thoughts going out to you and those affected Danno.

firefighterjake said:
Incidentally . . . I hate this thread . . . I'm sitting here tearing up since this story has brought back so many fresh memories of that night . . . prayers and thoughts going out to you and those affected Danno.
Thanks, FFJ.

I've got enough prayers for everyone, so I'm sharing them with you, too. Time may heal all wounds, but there are scars...there are always scars, people often forget that. It's a tough transition between what is a wound on the soul to a scab that get's picked at to the scar that reminds us and has changed us, but no longer pains us. I pray that your wound heals and that your scars change your soul in a way that enhances the good that is already within.

Danno77 said:
firefighterjake said:
Incidentally . . . I hate this thread . . . I'm sitting here tearing up since this story has brought back so many fresh memories of that night . . . prayers and thoughts going out to you and those affected Danno.
Thanks, FFJ.

I've got enough prayers for everyone, so I'm sharing them with you, too. Time may heal all wounds, but there are scars...there are always scars, people often forget that. It's a tough transition between what is a wound on the soul to a scab that get's picked at to the scar that reminds us and has changed us, but no longer pains us. I pray that your wound heals and that your scars change your soul in a way that enhances the good that is already within.

Thanks for the kind words.

firefighterjake said:
Incidentally . . . I hate this thread . . . I'm sitting here tearing up since this story has brought back so many fresh memmories of that night . . . prayers and thoughts going out to you and those affected Danno.

i thought i was the only one..

after being a ff for 24 years you never get over certain calls
you push them to the back of your mind till something like
this brings them forward again

mine is a car accident, car into a box truck...killed the mom and 2 of the her 3 kids
all under the age of 7...at the time i had two the same ages at home.
what really hit me was the fact they were eating mc donalds happy meals
and probably never even knew what hit them....for about 2 years i couldnt bring myself to eat
at mc donalds

Status
Not open for further replies.