Some Questions from a newbie/New super 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ford88

Dec 20, 2010
Ellenville NEW YORK
First off what a great site a lot of info.Were new to the wood stove game We Had a super 27 installed We have been burning for a couple of weeks now are home is a 1300 sq foot ranch with a open floor plan.So far this stove is great I'm burning 24\7 and shut the heat off nice overnite burn easy to get started in morning.It has such a even heat I thought it would be super hot next to the stove and cold in the far bedrooms but thats not the case at all.I do have one Question I have a thermometer on the stove top and Go's up to about 500 if you open air all the way What is a good temp it should be running at.

500 is a good temp, but not if you have to open the air all the way to get there. Sounds like your wood may not be really dry.

Ford welcome to the forum. I would have to agree with Dune, 500 is not a bad cruising temp, (Although I do not have a Super 27 ) but with the air wide ope I would think you would be higher, perhaps much higher than that. There are people with that stove that will be able to give you more specifics but....... how seasoned is your wood ? Did you buy it, or process yourself?

If you bought it, I would give you odds that even though they called it seasoned, it probably isn't. The first thing you need is quality fuel. If you are going to be buying your wood, buy it a year or 2 in advance if you have the room to store it. If you are processing it yourself, start scrounging now, and get a couple years ahead. Most of the time stove burning issues come down to either poor fuel or poor draft.

BTW you may want to put your stove name in your sig so that others know what you have.

Oh and any and all advice that you get from anyone, here or elsewhere, you always have to consider the stove they have, the setup (chimney size, diameter, height), the weather (colder/windy weather stove may burn different), and the fuel (type of fuel and is it seasoned properly).

You will be able to learn quite a bit here and accelerate the learning curve but, there will be a learning curve.

Some kindling and small pieces of dry wood should get you to 500 in a short period of time, wont last that long due to the small nature of the fire but then you can put on the larger splits and see if you can get it over the 500 barrier.

Welcome ford. You have a great stove. It will perform best if you load it North/South. That is with the logs/splits loaded parallel to the sides of the stove. When starting a fire, place two medium sized splits about 2" apart in the middle of the stove, parallel to the sides. Build your kindling fire between the two splits. If the wood is dry, it will take off quickly.

Note that once more wood has been added and the fire is going well, it's time to turn down the air supply in steps. Turn it down until the flames just start to get lazy. Let the fire grow back in intensity, then turn it down again until the flames are lazy. You will see them start to decend almost in clouds from the top of the firebox. This will be the beginning of secondary burn and the stove will actually get hotter, even though the fire has less air.

Here are some great videos for you to watch. I would recommend the one on efficient stove operation.
http://www.woodheat.org/videos.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.