Some Sandy Pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
A motoryacht was washed up on the railroad tracks a few miles from me during the storm. This is not my picture.
image.jpg

It has since been removed and is now in a rail yard near me.
DSCN2420.jpg

I think the caption would be something like. "Yeah, we've got your boat here, please come pick it up ASAP"

saw a lot of this in Katrina aftermath...somebody's big investment...

It's crazy to see where things end up after a storm.

A motoryacht was washed up on the railroad tracks a few miles from me during the storm. This is not my picture.
image.jpg

It has since been removed and is now in a rail yard near me.
DSCN2420.jpg

I think the caption would be something like. "Yeah, we've got your boat here, please come pick it up ASAP"
Looks like its in good shape! I wonder?

I'm thinking there's got to be some bottom damage after landing on the tracks. I'm guessing the railroad guys weren't that gentle with it either. It was still there on that rail car Monday.

Some pics from my block...

My house is on the other side of the downed trees, dead end road.

IMG_1620.JPG

The kids inspecting one of four root balls on my neighbor's property. You can see some of the other downed trees in the background.

IMG_1641.JPG

This is what most of the power lines on my block look like. Out of 6 poles, 4 have to be replaced.

IMG_1587.JPG

The top half of a pine hung up on the wires in the middle of the only road to our area. It was there for three days.

IMG_1664.JPG

Then the nor'easter hit. One of the old farms near me.

IMG_1678.JPG

8 Days after Sandy and the northeaster's snow brought down a bunch of these hangers. This one is over the main road.

IMG_1680.JPG

KaptJaq

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
What a mess for all you folks in all the areas hit. I wish you the best in the recovery and road back to normal. Hopefully you will see some benefit from it in the future and the utility crews will leave you with a newer, and stronger system than you had.

I think right now all we are getting is a patched together system. The bean counters must still think repairs are cheaper than upgrades. Either that or there will be some serious clear cutting along the roads.

Since our Ice Storm in 1998, there does seem to be a better clearance in some areas by the utilities. But then you see some other areas that the trees are not trimmed back far enough.

They did some major tree cutting in the summer of 2010 on my street. Since then we have have lost power twice due to the trees within 100 yards of each other that they didn't trim. Last October for 5 days and 11 days and counting this October.

Status
Not open for further replies.