Some Wood Pellet Fuel Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I'm new to pellet stoves, getting one installed tomorrow. It's a Harman P-68. Looking in stores and online, I find that there are a ton (excuse the pun) of different brands of wood pellets to choose from. Many have only the PFI logo on the bag, many have the analysis below the logo. My stove is coming with a half ton of Hamer's Hot Ones.

I happened to stop in at a Tractor Supply in Winchester, VA yesterday and they had a brand called Hardwood Heat, specifically distributed to Tractor Supply stores. I also saw a few comments suggesting/inferring that they were really made by Hamer's, and were essentially one and the same as Hamer's Hot Ones. Also saw a reference to Southern States selling a brand called Statesman (I think), and also made by Hamer's. Don't know if that's true, and if true, if they are the same as the Hot Ones.

So my question is: is that correct? Is Hardwood Heat from Tractor Supply the same "exact" pellet fuel as Hamer's Hot Ones? Both have the same PFI analysis.

I have also been led to believe that Turman's and Cubex are also very good, and a reasonably low ash and fines fuel, though I don't know who carries them in my area.

I have been looking at the testing results posted on this website, so I have been trying to do my homework and try to be somewhat informed regarding pellet stoves and their fuel. Just looking for the best fuel to burn at the "right" price.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, including where the best buys price wise per ton might be. I live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV; between Martinsburg, WV and Winchester, VA.

Thanks in advance. This is truly a great website.

Welcome to the world of pellets. Before you know it you will be thinking, eating, sleeping, dreaming and well, you know where this is going..pellets. Looks like you are already doing the right thing. I found it best in the begining to get a few bags of each and try them to see how they burn in your stove with your own set up. Each can vary a bit based on a bunch of different factors. You will quickly see after a season or two which ones work good for your stove and the ones that don't. The reviews on this board are super and are a good base line for which ones to try. As far as who makes what and which ones are the same, a few of the pellet Guru's, Masters umm Pellet Gods...can give you some insite and I am sure they will help you in anyway they can. Also, KEEP YOUR INVESTMENT CLEAN...a clean stove is a happy stove, a dirty stove is a headache. Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your new stove.

One last thing. Keep track of what you burn this year as it can be a good indicator what you will need for next year. I try to keep one year supply of good pellets on hand just in case of a bad pellet year.

Hello

Welcome to the forum.

Hammer Hot Ones are one of the Best Pellets around.

I have been burning for the past 2 seasons.

In the past couple years the manufacturing process has been greatly improved and most brands are much better this year. With that said I have been very happy with the Big Box stores pellets now because they do carry good pellets like Stove Chow, Maine Wood Pellets, Maine's Choice pellets and New England Wood Pellets made in Jaffrey NH. Their price is the best. Currently they are $197.00 per ton.

I like the pellets made in Maine and Canada myself but there are many other good brands.

It is amazing that the price of pellets 3 to 4 years ago were about $300.00 per ton and sometimes hard to get!

Since they came down to approx $200 per ton and oil went way up last year, Pellet Heat is the way to go!!

I have tried FHA, FHW with gas oil and electric heat but nothing is more satisfying than the nice warm heat of a pellet stove fire!!!

Good luck and do not forget? Please post pics of the install. Below is my Avalon Astoria Basement Install.

Thank-you

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,168
fromjusttheking said:
Hello everyone,

I'm new to pellet stoves, getting one installed tomorrow. It's a Harman P-68. Looking in stores and online, I find that there are a ton (excuse the pun) of different brands of wood pellets to choose from. Many have only the PFI logo on the bag, many have the analysis below the logo. My stove is coming with a half ton of Hamer's Hot Ones.

I happened to stop in at a Tractor Supply in Winchester, VA yesterday and they had a brand called Hardwood Heat, specifically distributed to Tractor Supply stores. I also saw a few comments suggesting/inferring that they were really made by Hamer's, and were essentially one and the same as Hamer's Hot Ones. Also saw a reference to Southern States selling a brand called Statesman (I think), and also made by Hamer's. Don't know if that's true, and if true, if they are the same as the Hot Ones. Check the link below for brands Hamer markets!

http://www.trademarkia.com/company-hamer-pellet-fuel-company-537317-page-1-2

So my question is: is that correct? Is Hardwood Heat from Tractor Supply the same "exact" pellet fuel as Hamer's Hot Ones? Both have the same PFI analysis. Yes, Hamer is bagging these.

I have also been led to believe that Turman's and Cubex are also very good, and a reasonably low ash and fines fuel, though I don't know who carries them in my area. For the most part yes. Cubex did have some issues with some batches. Turmans are a very steady pellet. I doubt you will see Cubex in your area. But Turman could be available?

I have been looking at the testing results posted on this website, so I have been trying to do my homework and try to be somewhat informed regarding pellet stoves and their fuel. Just looking for the best fuel to burn at the "right" price. Those would be my testing results or should I say spot checks. There are variables that are involved. We always stress "Try before you buy here"! Doing your own is the safe bet! Your new P68 should eat about any Premiem grade pellet without issue. But you want the lowest ash content, with good heat and burn length(time).

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, including where the best buys price wise per ton might be. I live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV; between Martinsburg, WV and Winchester, VA. Hamers should be widely available in your area. But they burn hot because they size the fuel to feed large amounts. So the burn length might be on the short side. You might need to reduce the feed rate some to increase burn length.
We are always willing to assist members here! :)

for whatever my opinion is worth, get Hamer Hot ones and never look for another pellet again! :)

First of all, welcome to the forum.

The Hamers are a great pellet, and I wouldn't hesitate in getting a few tons of the Hardwood heat.

In general, 3-4 tons of pellet should get most people through a winter, so 2-3 tons of the HH should do nicely for you.

And don't forget to post pics of the new stove install, or as we say here, "it really didn't happen"! ;-)

Thanks for all of the info so far everyone. Very interesting and informative.

Though, I am now very curious. Since the Tractor Supply brand "Hardwood Heat" IS made by Hamer's; lets say TSC's cost is $40 a ton LESS than others carrying Hamer's Hot Ones (HHO), doesn't it make sense to get Hardwood Heat (HH) instead? The tests shown on this site seem to indicate very comparable test results (HHO vs HH) if I understand them correctly.

So, am I missing something that HHO gives me that HH does not, that justifies HHO's extra $40 cost? Just trying to understand the nuances between brands, test results and users experiences.

What say you pyro's, God's and knowledgeable one's. Inquiring (newbie) minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Also, how do you "create" your signature at the end of a post? Didn't notice any info on it though I probably missed it somewhere.

If you go to Your Control Panel at the top of the page Edit Your Signature is in the left panel. I have burnt both Hardwood Heat and
Hammers Hot Ones and I didn't notice any difference from one to the other. Depending on which plant they come out of they are just
over the hill from you in Elkins. Appalachian Wood Pellets are being made in Bridgeport, down the road from Clarksburg.

j-takeman said:
fromjusttheking said:
Hello everyone,

I happened to stop in at a Tractor Supply in Winchester, VA yesterday and they had a brand called Hardwood Heat, specifically distributed to Tractor Supply stores. I also saw a few comments suggesting/inferring that they were really made by Hamer's, and were essentially one and the same as Hamer's Hot Ones. Also saw a reference to Southern States selling a brand called Statesman (I think), and also made by Hamer's. Don't know if that's true, and if true, if they are the same as the Hot Ones. Check the link below for brands Hamer markets!

http://www.trademarkia.com/company-hamer-pellet-fuel-company-537317-page-1-2

So my question is: is that correct? Is Hardwood Heat from Tractor Supply the same "exact" pellet fuel as Hamer's Hot Ones? Both have the same PFI analysis. Yes, Hamer is bagging these.

I have also been led to believe that Turman's and Cubex are also very good, and a reasonably low ash and fines fuel, though I don't know who carries them in my area. For the most part yes. Cubex did have some issues with some batches. Turmans are a very steady pellet. I doubt you will see Cubex in your area. But Turman could be available?

I have been looking at the testing results posted on this website, so I have been trying to do my homework and try to be somewhat informed regarding pellet stoves and their fuel. Just looking for the best fuel to burn at the "right" price. Those would be my testing results or should I say spot checks. There are variables that are involved. We always stress "Try before you buy here"! Doing your own is the safe bet! Your new P68 should eat about any Premiem grade pellet without issue. But you want the lowest ash content, with good heat and burn length(time).

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, including where the best buys price wise per ton might be. I live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV; between Martinsburg, WV and Winchester, VA. Hamers should be widely available in your area. But they burn hot because they size the fuel to feed large amounts. So the burn length might be on the short side. You might need to reduce the feed rate some to increase burn length.
We are always willing to assist members here! :)

We are?

fromjusttheking said:
....lets say TSC's cost is $40 a ton LESS than others carrying Hamer's Hot Ones (HHO), doesn't it make sense to get Hardwood Heat (HH) instead?.....

Yes, get the HH.

krooser said:

Yes. While you've been asleep, we voted you the new "All Knowing, All Seeing pellet newbie helper".

It is a permanent position.

Congrats :)

imacman said:
krooser said:

Yes. While you've been asleep, we voted you the new "All Knowing, All Seeing pellet newbie helper".

It is a permanent position.

Congrats :)

Does that mean I get some kinda new fangled position with the federal gub'ment with high pay and a new armored car? Pellet powered, no doubt.

And green.... I like dark green best.

fromjusttheking said:
Though, I am now very curious. Since the Tractor Supply brand "Hardwood Heat" IS made by Hamer's; lets say TSC's cost is $40 a ton LESS than others carrying Hamer's Hot Ones (HH), doesn't it make sense to get Hardwood Heat (HH) instead? The tests shown on this site seem to indicate very comparable test results (HH vs HH) if I understand them correctly.

So, am I missing something that HH gives me that HH does not, that justifies HH's extra $40 cost? Just trying to understand the nuances between brands, test results and users experiences.
What say you pyro's, God's and knowledgeable one's. Inquiring (newbie) minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

I think its probably dealer versus box store or Purchase quantities. The buyer that purchases the larger amounts generally get the best price breaks. A stove shop/pellet dealer probably doesn't get the same break a box store chain gets due to the larger quantities they purchased. IMHO buy what you can afford. But remember the box store will only sell pellets as seasonal items. You might also want to support the local pellet dealer as they sell fuel all season and beyond. Come April the box store will be selling lawn and garden suppies when the pellet dealer will be selling pellets. Might want to send him some business just in case. If no one supports them they will be gone!

There are a couple of other newer brands you might find in your area. They are Appalachian Wood Pellet(AWP) and Cheat River. Both from the same company. I am hoping to find some to do a review/spot check on this season. Site posted is under construction but posted jic!

http://www.appalachianwoodpellets.com/

http://www.trademarkia.com/company-appalachian-wood-pellets-inc-3708976-page-1-2

krooser said:
Does that mean I get some kinda new fangled position with the federal gub'ment with high pay and a new armored car? Pellet powered, no doubt......

Uhhhh....No. You get all the Gub'ment cheese you want. Nice, Packers-yellow cheese. :sick:

imacman said:
krooser said:
Does that mean I get some kinda new fangled position with the federal gub'ment with high pay and a new armored car? Pellet powered, no doubt......

Uhhhh....No. You get all the Gub'ment cheese you want. Nice, Packers-yellow cheese. :sick:

Great... like I don't have enough already....

Finally got my Harman P-68 installed. Will upload pix once I figure out how.

Another question though. Went to another Tractor Supply and saw their Hardwood Heat pellets ($197/ton). Was going to order a ton but happened to notice their display with a bucket full of pellets and something caught my eye. I noticed that these pellets were LONG. Like some up to 1-3/4" long. Lots and lots up to 1-1/2", maybe longer in the bucket. Now I know that most of the pellets I've seen in other stores are typically at least half as long or less, so my question is: Is it NOT a good thing to use pellets that may have many 1-3/4" or more? Not comfortable with this kind of length. PFI states 1-1/2" max = to or less than 1% longer than 1-1/2", which these pellets clearly exceed, per their latest spec.

What say you guru's? Would YOU use these pellets at that length (even IF they never exceeded 1-3/4" in length)?

Just want to do the right thing and not make any mistakes. My next option would be Hamer's Hot Ones at $240/ton. Just trying to save some money if it is justified.

Thanks in advance.

I have burned pellets over 3 inches long with no issues besides hearing the auger crunch them up, But it all depends on the stove. 1 3/4 doesn't sound all that bad, But YES they are out of spec! Maybe a fellow P68 owner can tell you if the stove has issues with longer pellets?

j-takeman said:
I have burned pellets over 3 inches long with no issues besides hearing the auger crunch them up, But it all depends on the stove......

Agreed....the auger should have no problem breaking them. Only real issue is the long ones making a pellet "bridge" at the bottom of the hopper, but with harman's bottom-feed design, maybe that isn't an issue?

the tractor supply over here stores their pellets outside and went through the hurricane..
i bought mine from a warehouse that stores them inside..2 bucks more a ton....maine wood pellets...cabin bag..

After checking out all the info I could, including all of the info on this site, I came to the conclusion that occasionally you will come across some pellets that exceed the PTI 1-1/2" max length, but are they are the exception, not the rule as they say. I actually was able to check some open bags at another Tractor Supply, and found that most all were well within spec, in fact, well less than an inch, so I'm ordering a ton from them.

Fired it up today for the first time with Hamer's Hot Ones, and guess what? It worked! I guess my wife and I are happy campers. I did notice that the combustion blower does take a while to stop running when the temp is turned way down, but I suppose it's the way it's supposed to work.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and info. This forum is great!!!

I attached a photo if I did it right. Hopefully it will be below.

Attachments

• P1190731-800x600.jpg
    P1190731-800x600.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 677
nice stove, very nice

From a cold start (just firing up)the combustion blower (exhaust) will come on right away, then after 4-10 min (depends on stove and heat level) The convection blower (room air blower) will come on. But as long as your stove is running, the Combustion blower should be running all the time. When you shut your stove down, The Convection and Combustion blower will both run until the Snap Disc has met its set-point and the stove knows that it is cool enough to shut down. Lots of things on the stoves are programmed as Timers in the board (Ignitor, Feed Rates, etc) or as Snap Disc's (Temp set points) and based on Temp (When Convection blower turns on/off)

Very Nice stove. You are going to be impressed at how well it heats your home. Once you get used to running it 24/7, your house will be a more comfortable and even temp. I have found that running a lower heat setting 24/7 (In Winter, shoulders I still let the thermostat shut it down) keeps the house much more comfortable. No Hot/Cold cycle swings from start up and shut down. The Harman has Room temp and Stove Temp so you have a couple different avenues to explore.

Welsome to the Forum and if I may add one more thing.. Please invest in a GOOD surge Protector. You spent a lot of money on your stove. Protect your investment. I can see the plug to the back left side of the stove (Yes we can be nosey, but its cause we care). About $15-$20 will get a good one with a high enough Jules rating. Do a search here in the Forum, many good results will pop up.

dex, I'm not sure the Harman's use a snap disc???? I think they work off the ESP prob. At least for the combustion blower anyway.

Vacuum switch "normally" controls the Main Feed of the stove. If door is open, or any large "Leak" (no vacuum) then the auger stops and stove will shut down shortly. If all is well and stoves senses vacuum, then the stove will operate as it should. Vacuum is everything. Its a safety switch designed to shut down the stove in the case of glass shatter (rare, but it could happen), someone opening door or hopper on some models. One of the most impotant safties that should never be overidden or jumpered.

Jay, Thanks for the schooling. I knew the ESP controled a fair amount on Harmans, but was trying to give the OP the idea of why his blower may stay on after stove shuts down. All stoves need the "Cool down" whether its done on a Timer (My buddies Baby Countryside is a Timer, No Snap Disc's) a Snap disc (like my Quad and prob your Omega) or the ESP on a Harman.
I know when I 1st got my stove, I was worried sick the 1st few times I started it. Seemed like the Convection Blower was never gonna come on and then when it shut off, that the Combustion Blower would never shut down. Took some time to read and understand how and why the blowers did what they did and when they would do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.