somebody's going to score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent a reply email, but that one really sounds too good to be true. I suspect this may just be a troll, alas- but hope springs eternal.

BTW a couple of forum members have admitted trolling Craig's list while researching various theories about wood 'buyers' and 'sellers'. A lot of jokesters on there, apparently. But also some real deals. It's amazing what you can find, "get this stuff out of here", "one man's trash, another man's treasure", etc.

There are a lot of real deals. Wood is a lot of work.

Cluttermagnet said:
I sent a reply email, but that one really sounds too good to be true. I suspect this may just be a troll, alas- but hope springs eternal.

BTW a couple of forum members have admitted trolling Craig's list while researching various theories about wood 'buyers' and 'sellers'. A lot of jokesters on there, apparently. But also some real deals. It's amazing what you can find, "get this stuff out of here", "one man's trash, another man's treasure", etc.

Let us know if it works out.

I might try that if I was at home right now, but Potomac is a little far for Ranger loads. And nobody in DC knows what a cord is (much less a "chord"). With all the thunderstorms the DC craigslist has been full of wood this summer. I don't know why I watch it when I'm out of town, a sickness I guess.

sullystull said:
Cluttermagnet said:

Let us know if it works out.

I guess I still don't know for sure how 'real' this was. I did actually email with someone with a gmail address. I got jerked around. There was Locust, then it was spoken for but there was still lots of Cherry and Poplar, then the next morning, the 'gentleman' who was showing up with a pickup to take a load to Virginia has the Locust, wants the Cherry, and all that's left is Poplar, etc.

I'm stuck on dialup the past few weeks here. I should have cable internet service restored today or tomorrow. Anyway, I noticed that his 3rd email this morning was just under 2 megs in size, previous two had been 7k, 14k, etc. Could have been a map, could have been anything- I don't know and I don't have the time to find out. So I didn't wait for it to download. Tilt. Game over. BTW never did get an address or phone number.

I'd write more but I'm tired. As of last night, he'd be willing to sell out this 'gentleman' coming this morning at 10AM if I would come right over that evening. No, I'm not coming that evening. Does he understand how much work is involved to move multiple cords of wood? He allows as how the Poplar logs are pretty heavy and would need either a two man carry or to be sawed in half.

Here's an excerpt from the middle of 3 emails to give you some of the flavor:
Very well written response! The gentleman arriving around 10am tomorrow appears to only need a portion of the wood as he is headed to Virginia in a pickup truck. There should be at least 3-5 cords worth of Cherry & Poplar remaining.

If you wish to come by prior to 10am, I will offer you the first batch as desired.
I think I was just the convenient fool, as I never did receive an address in the first two emails. I did ask. If the guy had not shown up, I may have been the alternate. How likely is that with Locust?

Anyway, not having the address and not being psychic, I didn't "come by prior to 10AM." But I did waste some time waiting around for an email in the 6-11AM timeframe. The 3rd email is basically a Poplar variation of the one finger salute, the old 'bait and switch', I suppose. Fortunately, most of the people I have met on Craig's List were nice people and the real deal.

Hurry! Come over tonight and get that other guy's free Locust wood!
Who knows- maybe I got lucky and avoided getting rolled for my wallet and/or vehicle in some dark corner of Potomac, MD. :coolgrin: :bug:

Sullystull-

The Craig's List ad you posted was followed by this, from the same guy. Yours was at 4:11AM, this one was at 5:52PM the same day. Looks like maybe a cord or maybe 2 at most. Looks like half of it is Poplar. So the deal was for real, although the seller wasn't. But thanks for putting it out anyway.

Free Poplar, Cherry, & Locust Wood (Potomac)

3k83pc3l05V65P35S2a8f6612c47d67b0191b.jpg

3n03oa3l95V25X05R2a8f9c3219a051bf158d.jpg

3ne3k13o75Z15W65U6a8fc8664e68054e1138.jpg

DiscoInferno said:
...nobody in DC knows what a cord is (much less a "chord")...
Oh, how very right you were, Disco. :mad:

Cluttermagnet said:
DiscoInferno said:
...nobody in DC knows what a cord is (much less a "chord")...
Oh, how very right you were, Disco. :mad:

What always gets me is that their ignorance of the measure in no way stops them from confidently describing their pile of wood in terms of it.

Cluttermagnet said:
Sullystull-

The Craig's List ad you posted was followed by this, from the same guy. Yours was at 4:11AM, this one was at 5:52PM the same day. Looks like maybe a cord or maybe 2 at most. Looks like half of it is Poplar. So the deal was for real, although the seller wasn't. But thanks for putting it out anyway.

Free Poplar, Cherry, & Locust Wood (Potomac)

3k83pc3l05V65P35S2a8f6612c47d67b0191b.jpg

3n03oa3l95V25X05R2a8f9c3219a051bf158d.jpg

3ne3k13o75Z15W65U6a8fc8664e68054e1138.jpg

Crazy!

I think he's still at it:

Free Firewood (Potomac, MD)

Now he's got stacks of Oak and Tulip tree stumps. Hurry! Hurry!
I guess he means rounds? Probably a whole 'chord' of the Poplar left. :p
Funny- if it's the same guy, he didn't have any Oak before.
Oak and tulip tree stumps in 12 - 18" lengths as firewood are available for free pick up. Come to Potomac, MD to haul away what you want until the stacks are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.